Homemade Gluten-Free Black Patent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igliashon

Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing a black IPA in the near future, and was wondering about making my own black malt (out of sprouted quinoa, probably). I've heard that you can't do black malt in the oven because there isn't enough control, so I was thinking of doing it in a frying pan on the stove, so that I can stir the grains constantly to keep them from scorching and to get the color nice and even. Probably will just do 1/2 pound, don't want the roasty flavor dominating too much, but does anyone have any experience with this? Sprouted quinoa's expensive, and I'd rather not waste money by screwing it up.

Although I haven't tried it for a grain, I use a whirley-pop popcorn popper to roast coffee with good results, imho. However, I think you would need to be roasting a larger grain than quinoa -- not sure it would stir well since the tines are designed for popcorn kernels. Maybe brown rice?

Hmm...I'll bet buckwheat would work, the groats are close to the size of popcorn kernels. I'll try doing the quinoa by hand in a pan, but if that doesn't go well then I'll give one of these babies a try! Thanks for the tip!

I have done stove top "roasting" of GF grains for beer with good results. But you have to be vigilant! I've roasted millet and quinoa and both worked out well.
I'd love to hear how this turns out.

I have before, slightly 'over toasted' some buckwheat groats. Turned out chocolaty. I accidentally forgot about them and this was in the oven. Are you able to 'forget' about some for a while that you put in?

I'm remembering now that coffee can also be roasted well in a skillet...so yeah, go for it!

Back