Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Help please! GF stout syrups

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Gengis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help please! GF stout syrups

Hi all,

I'm attempting to brew GF Guinness-style stout (my first attempt...).

I do not have access to Sorghum syrup, and I don't even know what it tastes like once fermented. Can anyone help me as to which syrups would give the best (i.e. non-weird!) results, and in which proportion:

Brown rice syrup?
Molasses?
Maple syrup?

I will also be using malted grains (Millet, Quinoa, GF oats, black rice) for added taste and color.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
No_Party
Recipes 

I'm still experimenting using sorghum molasses as a base. So far, not good.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
johnmirow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I do not have access to Sorghum (syrup,molasses,seeds,...) then I'm using corn malt & blascstrap molasess or caramel and experimenting with Lyle's Golden Syrup.

Last edited by johnmirow; 03-31-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think some of the other guys here have done brews using rice syrup as the main fermentable. If you do this, you're going to want to use some yeast nutrient.

But if you can do a mini-mash with your malted grain, you should be able to get some color, flavor, and body from those.

Speaking of which, malted oats? Are you malting some oats yourself, or?

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 03-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Some GF folks use dark candi sugar/syrup for color.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Gengis
Recipes 

Basically, I’m trying to imitate the chemistry and taste of Barley Malt. I was told that Barley Malt contains mostly maltose and little glucose, which is why brown rice syrup seems like a good choice. However, some have posted that BRS has little taste. As for Sorghum, I’ve read a lot of posts that mention a sour or pungent taste. I was thinking of complementing BRS with dark maple syrup (Sucrose : 62% Glucose : 2% Fructose : 2%) for flavor and color.

Does anybody have any suggestions? What about Golden Syrup or Blackstrap molasses?

To Dorklord: yes, I will try to find non-processed oats in order to malt them. Otherwise, I will just roast them.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gengis View Post
Basically, I’m trying to imitate the chemistry and taste of Barley Malt. I was told that Barley Malt contains mostly maltose and little glucose, which is why brown rice syrup seems like a good choice. However, some have posted that BRS has little taste. As for Sorghum, I’ve read a lot of posts that mention a sour or pungent taste. I was thinking of complementing BRS with dark maple syrup (Sucrose : 62% Glucose : 2% Fructose : 2%) for flavor and color.

Does anybody have any suggestions? What about Golden Syrup or Blackstrap molasses?

To Dorklord: yes, I will try to find non-processed oats in order to malt them. Otherwise, I will just roast them.
Golden syrup is certainly an option, but again there you'll be getting into a low (no, I believe) maltose item.

I'd love to hear what you do as far as malting oats. If I could find any oats that weren't flaked, cut, or otherwise killed, I'd try it myself...

Oh, and I know that various amounts of molasses have been used around here. I've used a couple heaping tablespoons for color in several beers, and I used a 1lb jar of sorghum syrup (which looks and tastes a lot like molasses) in my oatmealish stoutish brew last night.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Last edited by dorklord; 03-31-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: I can has typing!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
I think some of the other guys here have done brews using rice syrup as the main fermentable. If you do this, you're going to want to use some yeast nutrient.
Just a correction here, anything besides Sorghum and you will want to use a lot of yeast nutrient. BRS is the closest to Sorghum in terms of nitrogen and you can use LESS than other fermentables.

That being said, the only "syrup" I would add to the above list is Dark Belgian Candi Syrup.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
spaced
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm currently reading through Randy Mosher's book, Radical Brewing. In it he says that for three years (until the introduction of chocolate malt), brewers cooked down molasses and then set it alight for a few minutes. This is how they got a really dark colour out of it.

I'm not setup to experiment with this but if someone can do 1 gallon batches I'd try this.

Sorghum malt may be different to what I buy in Australia because I find it tastes really good here.

My gluten free home brewing blog.
http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/

Drinking: Hopped Honey IPA
Fermenting: 2 Ciders with S-33 Yeast, Summer Pale Ale and a West Coast IPA
Planning: Belgian Triple, Blood Orange Wit and American IPA

All gluten free.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
andrewdell19
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced View Post
I'm currently reading through Randy Mosher's book, Radical Brewing. In it he says that for three years (until the introduction of chocolate malt), brewers cooked down molasses and then set it alight for a few minutes. This is how they got a really dark colour out of it.

I'm not setup to experiment with this but if someone can do 1 gallon batches I'd try this.

Sorghum malt may be different to what I buy in Australia because I find it tastes really good here.
So they would cook molasses syrup and then light it on fire? So if I just put a few lbs of molasses in a pot, cooked it (how long?) and then burned it with a torch that would produce what brewers use to do for darker color?

Quick Reply