New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Help with light GF beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsaudio View Post
@dorklord: From what ive read in this thread if you keep the OG low and add the Amylase in secondary it gives you a decent ABV while keeping the calorie/Carb count low, like Michelob ultra. Like I said i'm new to brewing and am just taking info from other people's brews.

@Lcasanova: I may just scratch the maltodextin.
You can always add the maltodextrin at bottling time if you feel the beer is 'too thin'.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
tlsaudio
Recipes 

How different would this beer turn out if I substituted sorghum for the brown rice syrup? Ive got a tub white sorghum in the fridge and my local homebrew shop is out of rice syrup. It will be a couple of weeks for them to restock, and I'd rather buy from them instead of the online shops.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
How different would this beer turn out if I substituted sorghum for the brown rice syrup? Ive got a tub white sorghum in the fridge and my local homebrew shop is out of rice syrup. It will be a couple of weeks for them to restock, and I'd rather buy from them instead of the online shops.
Sorghum will make it...sorghumy.

But heck, go for it. Sorghum should also provide the nutrients your yeast needs (something lacking in the rice syrup.)

You can always make it with the rice syrup in a month or so when your LHBS has it on hand.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
tlsaudio
Recipes 

How are you guys calculating specific gravity with sorghum, rice syrup, and other GF grains? I want to keep this brew around 1.030-1.035 so how much of either extract should I use?
Thanks again,
-T

Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #15
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
How are you guys calculating specific gravity with sorghum, rice syrup, and other GF grains? I want to keep this brew around 1.030-1.035 so how much of either extract should I use?
Thanks again,
-T
Sorghum is 1.038 per pound in a gallon of water (or 38 points/lb)
About 10 points/lb are non-fermentable

Brown Rice Syrup is also around 1.040 per pound in a gallon of water (40 points/lb)
About 10 points/lb are non-fermentable

I don't know if the numbers are dead-on, but those ones usually get me pretty durned close. The only reason it really matters much is to see how much maltodextrine you'll need to boost the FG.

Oh, and maltodextrine is about 40 points/lb and all non-fermentable.

As far as gf grains go, there's no standardization so your guess is as good as mine.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
As far as gf grains go, there's no standardization so your guess is as good as mine.
There isn't for any grains, it is based on efficiency and conversion.

Efficiency determines how much of the sugar is derived from the grain. As long as your process stays similar, this number should be similar as well. You will have to test out your system to find how it does and then use that number going forward.

Conversion determines how much of the sugar is fermentable. This is the area we struggle with in GF brewing, because this depends on amylase enzymes.

Both of these depend on your individual mash characteristics.

For instance, steeping uncrushed grains has a very low efficiency (around 10%) and 0% conversion. With crushed grains, the efficiency number will go up considerably (50%+) but the conversion number remains at zero. Add enzymes and the conversion number jumps up.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads