*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Head Retention in GF beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default Head Retention in GF beers

I am typically an all grain brewer but some family and friends convinced me to brew a GF beer. I brewed a Honey Pale Ale and it turned out great except that there is no head retention. It is properly carbed and forms a great head when poured but just dissipates really fast. I used 6 oz of maltodextrin for a 5 gallon batch. Anything else I can use to get better head retention? I am thinking maybe some GF oats?

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
brausawyer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog
I am typically an all grain brewer but some family and friends convinced me to brew a GF beer. I brewed a Honey Pale Ale and it turned out great except that there is no head retention. It is properly carbed and forms a great head when poured but just dissipates really fast. I used 6 oz of maltodextrin for a 5 gallon batch. Anything else I can use to get better head retention? I am thinking maybe some GF oats?
By the sounds of it you need to increase your protein content in order to get the foam stability your looking for. Silly question, do you clean your beer glasses with soap? Oats will work and also upping the hop content as well as they contain oils and proteins that help with foam stability.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brausawyer View Post
By the sounds of it you need to increase your protein content in order to get the foam stability your looking for. Silly question, do you clean your beer glasses with soap? Oats will work and also upping the hop content as well as they contain oils and proteins that help with foam stability.
I thought about the glass cleaning too. Never had a problem with my non GF beers keeping a nice head. Next time I will had some GF oats.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Torrefied grains can work, too. It's not too hard to find puffed rice and puffed corn in the cereal aisle of a health-food store, or even puffed millet or puffed quinoa. More maltodextrin can help as well; I usually use 4-8 oz per 3 gallons, so for 5 I'd use more like 6-12. Also, did you add the honey at flame-out, or did you boil it? Adding it at flame-out also seems to help, as long as you're using raw unfiltered honey (the kind that comes with like flecks of pollen in it). Bee pollen has protein in it, after all!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

How would you go about using the torrefied grains? Steep them or add them to the boil?

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 12-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Can you post your recipe; it may help?

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...

Old 12-31-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasidicCalvinist View Post
How would you go about using the torrefied grains? Steep them or add them to the boil?
Steep/mash.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
jeffz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you want something easy: head and head retention increased dramatically for my brews when I started adding buckwheat honey as an adjunct.

Quick Reply