Grain roasting times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Androshen

Reaction score
I had seen this info but could not find it again ....
If I am going for a rich medium amber color, what should the roasting temps/times be for the following unmalted grains:
buckwheat, quinoa and millet?

Put them on a pan and into the oven at 225-F, after 30 minutes increase temp 25 degrees, etc. Stop when you get the color you want.

I just did this with some millet, here's what I got:

Millet_001.JPG

I only got the temp up to 425 before I could stand it any longer- it will smell pretty bad the higher the temp gets. My grains started smoking around 325 FYI.

Good luck, I'm going to get some wild rice and roast that next.

What he said. My house smelled like ass for a day or 2. I pretty much did the same, going up to 400.

I have a question on this:

Is it possible to toast already malted grains, and what is the difference between toasted malted and toasted unmalted grains when it comes to brewing?

I have a question on this:

Is it possible to toast already malted grains, and what is the difference between toasted malted and toasted unmalted grains when it comes to brewing?

It's possible to toast malted grains but I don't know that I would exactly toast them to a high degree if I took the time to malt them. Now I don't know the exact answer but I think the more you toast malted grains, the less fermentable sugar that is eventually available. That said, in order to get "crystal" the grains must be malted and then kilned/roasted wet to carmelize the sugars.

I'd say the main difference between the two is the potential additional sugar you would be adding (if using the grains as specialty grains).

Hope that gives you some ideas, search around for roasting malted grains to find some more info on here, but I'm sure someone will chime in with some better answers.

I have nothing to offer on unmalted grains. I would just like to point out to those that may not know already that an oven thermometer on the grain bed is an essential! Never, ever trust what your oven tells you it is doing. Your grain can be up to 100F cooler than your oven tells you.

Well, I've just had a bit of fun with some buckwheat :)

started at 180C, going up 10c every half hour, and 1.5 hours and 200C, I know have a solid chunk of charcoal :(

think my oven temps might be out a little...

Has any one tried roasting millet wet vs. dry, and noticed a difference in character? John Palmer in his book speaks of roasting grains and notes differences in barley but not any GF grains.

Well, I've just had a bit of fun with some buckwheat :)

started at 180C, going up 10c every half hour, and 1.5 hours and 200C, I know have a solid chunk of charcoal :(

think my oven temps might be out a little...

Oven temps or not, try starting lower. 105C.

Has any one tried roasting millet wet vs. dry, and noticed a difference in character? John Palmer in his book speaks of roasting grains and notes differences in barley but not any GF grains.

I don't know if it would make a huge difference unless the grains were malted. In that case you would be producing the "cara" or whatever grains since the sugars would carmelize.

I haven't remade any of my recipes yet either so I guess that doesn't help either :cross:

Just roasted today. I went a bit lighter than the photo and stopped at 375. I am going to let them air out for a bit, before brew day. Anyone a good way to crush but not pulverize the millet. I don't have a grain mill, so I am thinking about using a rolling pin, with the goal of just cracking the grains.

I am wondering at what temperatures and how long to steep the millet. I was thinking around 160 F for 30 min. Also, I roasted two pounds, one pound was lighter and the other darker. For a 5 gal batch would you steep all of the two lbs. or can I use one lb. and save the other for a different batch.
Thanks.

I haven't done any comparisons for character (and I don't think there would be much without the effect of an amylase containing grain), however, I decided to try a side by side comparison of soaked and unsoaked grains for toasting.

The closest thing I had locally available is bob's red mill mighty tasty gluten free cereal (contains brown rice, corn, white sorghum, buckwheat). I poured half the bag in a bowl filled with water and let it soak for 30-45 minutes, and then poured the two halves on a cookies sheet. I started it at 225 and increased the oven temp 25 degrees every 30 minutes or so. I make it to about the 4 hour mark before I had enough of the smoke and pulled the pan from the oven. Talk about a difference in color.
toasted.jpg

I repeated the test with a bag of old creamy buckwheat cereal (from when it was gluten free) and the results were equally clear. The soaked grains can be toasted to a much much darker color than the dry ones.

Now obviously my hands were somewhat tied with having only pretty finely crushed cereal available and they both probably need to be toasted separately to be sure one grain isn't the one doing too much smoking. I sure plan to research it more though. My initial guess is that the unsoaked grains might be better for flavoring additions and the soaked grains will be great for color.

I just made a porter that seems to have about the right color. I steeped 4 oz soaked and toasted creamy buckwheat, 6oz soaked and toasted mighty tasty gf cereal, 4 oz unsoaked mighty tasty, 2 oz unsoaked buckwheat, 4 oz gf rolled oats, .5# d2 syrup, and boiled a small soup pan of wort down til the bubbles started stacking on a separate burner during the main boil. I can't speak to the taste yet but colorwise I think I might have hit porter.

I am wondering at what temperatures and how long to steep the millet. I was thinking around 160 F for 30 min. Also, I roasted two pounds, one pound was lighter and the other darker. For a 5 gal batch would you steep all of the two lbs. or can I use one lb. and save the other for a different batch.
Thanks.

Sorry for the delay- I steep mine at 160 for 30 minutes. Once I hit about 165 I add the grains and turn the heat off and cover it. The loss is minimal and I don't think it hurts if the temp goes too low. You could steep all 2lbs or use only one and save it for later- entirely up to you.

I haven't done any comparisons for character (and I don't think there would be much without the effect of an amylase containing grain), however, I decided to try a side by side comparison of soaked and unsoaked grains for toasting.

Talk about a difference in color.
toasted.jpg

Nice comparison, glad to see someone did this- next time I plan to make a darker beer I will definetly do this!

GF Brewers,

What will "Toasted Oats" do for a brew?

I guess my question cuts to the purpose of steeping grains. Seems to me they mainly impart color. Secondary to this, you get a small bit of fermentable sugars and you get some small flavor nuance. Is that the grist or it, I mean the gist of it?

Just roasted today. I went a bit lighter than the photo and stopped at 375. I am going to let them air out for a bit, before brew day. Anyone a good way to crush but not pulverize the millet. I don't have a grain mill, so I am thinking about using a rolling pin, with the goal of just cracking the grains.

the millet (and other small grains like quinoa & amarath) are tiny and fell through my grain mill at the closest setting. they also got through my strainer and into the boil pot, so I don't use them any more.

As others have mentioned-- it is also a good idea to let the toasted grains sit for at least a week in a paper bag (or longer if possible), so the burnt odors waft out. I read that professional malt makers hold on to theirs for 6 months.

Back