Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Golden Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #11
jas3019
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So far so good. The FG ended up being down around 1.005 which seems low for beers from what I've seen on here. Typical for my ciders though so I'm not too worried.

I racked the beer into the secondary today after a week sitting in primary. The color seems nice but it's definitely not clear. After only a few hours in secondary it's got quite a bit of sediment sitting on the bottom so that's a good thing. I had added some Irish moss during the boil but no other clearing agents. Hopefully that's all I need.

Is one week too short a time for the beer to clear? I'm planning on leaving it in the secondary for two weeks so I guess I'll see what happens!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #12
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

You'll be fine. Some of my beers don't clear till they're bottled, but they always clear. Even the ones that come out of the kettle looking like a swamp-water milkshake.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
jas3019
Recipes 

You were right! Even in a full day a bunch of sediment dropped out. So much that I decided to bottle just now. Taste is just ok - certainly drinkable but not what I'd like - I want more malty/caramel/bready taste. It was also hoppier than I was expecting but maybe that will mellow in the bottle.

I think I might try steeping some toasted millet or quinoa before the boil and see what that adds to it for next time. Definitely not up for malting or using enzymes yet.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #14
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Well, don't judge a beer till it's been in the bottle for a few weeks. Young, or "green", beer tastes quite different than mature beer, and some beers improve dramatically with age. Not all, mind you; some of my IPAs were definitely at peak flavor shortly after reaching full carbonation, but sometimes even lighter beers need time for flavors to blend and mellow.

Quick Reply