Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Glutenase (anyone know?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
Brewster2256
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Glutenase (anyone know?)

Doing some research on the feasibility of brewing a barely based gluten-free ale using the same ingredients I always do. The problem of course is that barley contains gluten, loads of it, so my response is 'destroy it!'

Are there any known types of glutenase which are known to break-up gluten down to a reasonable level ~20-30ppm?

If those enzymes exist, what temperature/pH conditions do they require?

Are there any known labs which produce relatively cheap glutenase?

I just imagining adding the enzyme to the mash of my typical ales, and having it do it's magic. I imagine its not that easy as there seems to be no barley based gluten free beer on the market.

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

google for "pharmax glutenzyme"

Old 10-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Interestingly enough, I went to a seminar yesterday and the whole <20 ppm was brought up and truthfully, <20 ppm is still too much for a person who is celiac to consume and can be dangerous. This I heard from Dr. O'Bryan, his site is www.thedr.com he had some great information and I figured I would pass this along. Not having a gluten sensitivity or CD myself I will still attempt to brew a 100% safe beer for a person with CD.

That said, I think your best bet is to look into grains that are "safe" rather than using "unsafe" grains and altering them to a "reasonable" level, just my opinion. I've malted my own sorghum but have yet to use it (you must use a decoction) but you can get sorghum syrup commercially from http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ or http://www.austinhomebrew.com/ just to name a few.

Hope that helps and sheds some lights on the reason for going gluten free in the first place

Old 10-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The few celiacs who I know consider glutenzyme more hype than reality. Useful for protection from potentially contaminated foods, but not helpful with foods that normally contain gluten.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
squeekysheep
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well it is my under standing that sorghum syrup is actually just a sugar, so i would think if you could actual malt a grain and use it it would be much better i have been looking into this my brother is gluten free and i am trying to made some for him.

i keep hearing of cidery tastes in gluten free beer and i would assume that is why

Battle Axe brewing

Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
Soybomb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As someone with celiac I would also urge caution with the idea of a "reasonable" amount of gluten. Many people, including myself seem to be sensitive to even trace amounts of gluten. At the very least be sure you give the full info to anyone about to consume such a product. I get so sick from it that there is no trivial amount to me, I'd just do without rather than risk it.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:46 AM   #7
Brewster2256
Recipes 

I want to be able to use the enzymes around protein rest temperatures, unless I could find something that works at saccharification temperatures. With that in mind, most oral enzymes are made to work under conditions found in the body, I need something that can work under brewing conditions and completely eliminate any trace of gluten.

So far, it seems unlikely that such a compound exists.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:48 AM   #8
Brewster2256
Recipes 

The reason I don't want to use sorghum, is because well, it just doesn't taste like beer; which is why I'm looking into this alternate route, whereby I get to keep my recipes unchanged, and hopefully create barley based beer without gluten.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster2256 View Post
The reason I don't want to use sorghum, is because well, it just doesn't taste like beer; which is why I'm looking into this alternate route, whereby I get to keep my recipes unchanged, and hopefully create barley based beer without gluten.
I really doubt you're gonna make it..... But, I appreciate your idea anyway... For me it is very clear that if there was a way to do it, some commercial brewery would already have it on the market....

Old 10-28-2009, 02:16 AM   #10
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster2256 View Post
The reason I don't want to use sorghum, is because well, it just doesn't taste like beer
I hadn't had a beer in 6 years before I found a sorghum based one at a local off license. It was the best beer I had ever tasted!

Maybe have a 6 year hiatus from your regular drop and you'll appreciate the alternatives,

Quick Reply