Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free (and stout) question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdell19 View Post
Ok well it definately isnt chunky. I might not be explaining it too well. I think I will try the cold crashing and at a last resort the gelatin.

What in the recipe would cause the beer to be chunky? Too many brewing/spec grains? I guess shaking the primary or secondary ferm when transfering the beer would cause it be thicker.
Lots of reasons for a thicker beer. High FG would be the most common. Ingredients such as oats also make the beer feel thicker.

A beer with a bunch of yeast still in suspension would taste 'yeasty' but the mouthfeel wouldn't be affected much. Trub would just fall out again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
So you just rack into a glass carboy after the boil? How much sediment is at the bottom before you bottle? For instance this stout I just did had almost a gallon of sediment at the bottom (cocoa powder and roasted gf oatmeal was probably the reason)
For beers where you have ridiculous amounts of trub, you can use a secondary, but I havent used one in quite awhile.

I just pump the wort into a corny straight from the BK. I think Logan just dump-strains his into a bucket.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
So you just rack into a glass carboy after the boil? How much sediment is at the bottom before you bottle? For instance this stout I just did had almost a gallon of sediment at the bottom (cocoa powder and roasted gf oatmeal was probably the reason)
After the boil I give it a good stir, I guess like a whirlpool but not as intense, and let it settle down, then siphon from the side of the kettle. I get a fair amount of trub in the fermenter but never a full gallon (pumpkin ale excluded). There is not a ton of sediment in the bottles, just the standard amount really.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
For beers where you have ridiculous amounts of trub, you can use a secondary, but I havent used one in quite awhile.

I just pump the wort into a corny straight from the BK. I think Logan just dump-strains his into a bucket.
You ferment in cornys?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
You ferment in cornys?
Yessir.

Just move from corny primary to corny serving with CO2. The first time the beer touches air is when the faucet on the kegerator is opened. Quite unnecessary but fun nonetheless.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
andrewdell19
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
Yessir.

Just move from corny primary to corny serving with CO2. The first time the beer touches air is when the faucet on the kegerator is opened. Quite unnecessary but fun nonetheless.
Thats pretty awesome! Do you force carb or do you use priming sugar? On a related note, do you need to keep adding CO2 (via CO2 system) to the keg if you use priming sugar in order to keep enough pressure so that beer comes out?

Do you also just periodically release CO2 when fermenting in the keg? It is an interesting idea that I might have to try out!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #17
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Thats pretty awesome! Do you force carb or do you use priming sugar? On a related note, do you need to keep adding CO2 (via CO2 system) to the keg if you use priming sugar in order to keep enough pressure so that beer comes out?

Do you also just periodically release CO2 when fermenting in the keg? It is an interesting idea that I might have to try out!
I force carb, if you use priming sugar, you basically just do the same thing as bottles, but when it is done carbonating you just stick it in the kegerator and attach the correct pressure of CO2.

I attach a blow off tube (1/2") to the CO2 inlet. I just take the poppet and such all the way off and attach it to the threads. At the end of fermentation I sometimes just walk by and periodically release the pressure instead, but if you did that during vigorous fermentation the keg would shoot beer all over the place and you would probably run into the emergency pressure release. (130psi) Plus, your beer would be overcarbed.

Quick Reply