Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free (and stout) question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
andrewdell19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gluten Free (and stout) question

So this is my second attempt at a GF Stout. First one turned out just ok but it was very thick- in fact my first 3 GF beers were thick in body and poor clarity and tasted a little yeasty. I have since used gelatin (2nd ferm) in my recent batches and that has really cleared up the problem. My most recent citrus IPA is pretty bomb digity Maybe I was not letting the beer settle long enough to get all the suspended proteins and yeast out?

My stout is in the 2nd ferm (10 days in primary) and will remain there until 3 days before Thanksgiving when I will force carb (I also plan on saving about 12-18 bottles to age the beer and see how it tastes 3, 6, and hopefully but doubtful 12 months).

My question is what will putting a clearing agent (gelatin) into the stout do? Will it take some of the color (dont want that) and most of the body out of the beer? The color is choc brown right now (for some reason I cant get a black stout using the sorghum malt). Of course you dont want a stout being light in taste but I dont want the overly thick almost yeasty taste...

thanks for the suggestions!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
fermentedhiker
Recipes 

it might be helpful if you detail your recipe and process. It might give people a better idea what's going on with your brew, or at least give us some ideas of what to try on our own batches

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~Thomas A. Edison

Old 11-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Did you try cold crashing it?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
Lcasanova

Recipes 

I've just roasted some buckwheat and millet as dark as I dared to go that I will be using in both my american brown ale and my double chocolate oatmeal stout. I doubt I'll get black but I should get some decent color from them.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
andrewdell19
Recipes 

Well I guess I cold crash when kegging it. But really I should probably cold crash before I keg the beer so the sediment settles before putting it in a keg. How long after going into the 2nd ferm do you cold crash? When it stops fermenting?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:58 AM   #6
andrewdell19
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedhiker View Post
it might be helpful if you detail your recipe and process. It might give people a better idea what's going on with your brew, or at least give us some ideas of what to try on our own batches
sure I will get it on the forum sometime tomorrow. I tasted it going into the 2nd ferm and it tasted pretty dang good. Not very bitter at all and I hear that can happen when using coffee and cocoa powder.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:17 AM   #7
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdell19 View Post
Well I guess I cold crash when kegging it. But really I should probably cold crash before I keg the beer so the sediment settles before putting it in a keg. How long after going into the 2nd ferm do you cold crash? When it stops fermenting?
I've gotten away from doing a secondary lately but IF I were still doing it and I was going to cold crash...probably 5 days before bottling is when I would cold crash it. I don't know if there is a written rule or a "this works better than that" thing going on.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
I don't know if there is a written rule or a "this works better than that" thing going on.
Rule: Longer is clearer. After a week or so, hard to notice a difference in most beers though.

Keep in mind that anything besides Clarex or other extreme measures isn't going to change the mouthfeel much though, it is pretty much strictly for appearance. If you are getting a chunky beer, chances are good it is the recipe, not insufficient clarity.

For example, my hefeweizens (real, not GF) are very cloudy, but are also very light and crisp in mouthfeel.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
andrewdell19
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
Rule: Longer is clearer. After a week or so, hard to notice a difference in most beers though.

Keep in mind that anything besides Clarex or other extreme measures isn't going to change the mouthfeel much though, it is pretty much strictly for appearance. If you are getting a chunky beer, chances are good it is the recipe, not insufficient clarity.

For example, my hefeweizens (real, not GF) are very cloudy, but are also very light and crisp in mouthfeel.
Ok well it definately isnt chunky. I might not be explaining it too well. I think I will try the cold crashing and at a last resort the gelatin.

What in the recipe would cause the beer to be chunky? Too many brewing/spec grains? I guess shaking the primary or secondary ferm when transfering the beer would cause it be thicker.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
andrewdell19
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
I've gotten away from doing a secondary lately but IF I were still doing it and I was going to cold crash...probably 5 days before bottling is when I would cold crash it. I don't know if there is a written rule or a "this works better than that" thing going on.
So you just rack into a glass carboy after the boil? How much sediment is at the bottom before you bottle? For instance this stout I just did had almost a gallon of sediment at the bottom (cocoa powder and roasted gf oatmeal was probably the reason)

Quick Reply