*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten free recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
beerguy2009
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gluten free recipe

I have a couple friends who want me to make a gluten free beer for the. One of them likes Red Bridge beer. Does anyone have a clone recipe for that or at least something close?
Also is brewing with sorghum much the same as barley?
BTW, I am an extract brewer as I haven't yet made the jump to AG yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
yodalegomaster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just did a GF extract batch, I usally do AG, but My boss wanted to try a Gf beer. It turned out much closer to the taste of beer than I thought it would. I could get used to it if I had too. Sorry but I have spoiled myself, I now know what good beer tastes like. just have at it, the recipe really doesn't make that much of a difference, it's not going to taste like beer anyway. I would pick an adjunct and a GF yeast and make a simple pale ale recipe.

The sorghum extract is exactly like barley extract.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy2009 View Post
I have a couple friends who want me to make a gluten free beer for the. One of them likes Red Bridge beer. Does anyone have a clone recipe for that or at least something close?
Also is brewing with sorghum much the same as barley?
BTW, I am an extract brewer as I haven't yet made the jump to AG yet.
We can help you with a clone of redbridge, but before we do, do you have lagering capabilities? It is pretty much required for anything of the budweiser style of brew. Otherwise, we can help you make a nice blonde or cream ale which are of the same ilk.

Brewing with sorghum is the same as barley malt extract procedurally, but the taste is FAR different. Brewing with extract gluten free is pretty similar to non-GF, but brewing all grain GF is WAY harder than normal AG.

Let us know on these few points and we can be on our way to a good recipe for you and your friend.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
gguess
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually, I would love a recipe for a cream ale that is gluten free.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguess View Post
Actually, I would love a recipe for a cream ale that is gluten free.
Cream ale is a bit tough gluten free because of a few things:

- We don't know if flaked corn is gluten free or not. It should be, but you never know with something that comes from a barley/wheat factory.

- Flaked corn or rice cannot convert itself, so you need additional enzymes in a mash.

If you are OK with the first and the second doesn't sound too bad, let us know and we can come up with something.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
gguess
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can tolerate a moderate amount of gluten so I am OK with the flaked corn issue. I don't have a problem with adjuncts either.

I have tried brewing several batches of sorghum malt based beers. Unfortunately I can't stay out of them long enough to see if they will really develop the right flavor. They are drinkable, but I find they need salt added (again because are less than 4weeks old from brewing). This is a result of not being able to get a couple of batches going and then work interfering with brewing.

Also, most of the batches have stayed very cloudy as a couple of brewers have mentioned about their sorghum beers. I had previously attributed that to using rice and buckwheat to add character to the beer. As you said, Likely it needed amylase to work on the starches. I had no clue as to how much to use or when. OG=~1.045 with a FG=1.022, so there was a lot of starch in the beer. I really didn't mind since it gave the beer a good body (mouth feel). Interestingly, I found that half a shot of Jack Daniels really improved the flavor by smoothing it out and add a counter flavor. Quite nicely.

BTW: I checked some of your recipes on dkershner. They look interesting, but I did not see the cream ale recipe.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguess View Post
BTW: I checked some of your recipes on dkershner. They look interesting, but I did not see the cream ale recipe.
That's because I am going to make it up off the top of my head.

As for your problems with waiting, you will be disatisfied with beer you create in general if you do not have patience. Clearing of beer is mostly solved with have a good, clean process and having patience, but so is making the best beer possible. With all that said...let's make a cream ale, shall we? Give me a second to type, recipe to follow.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
DKershner
Recipes 

4lb Brown Rice Syrup
2lb Sweet Potatoes
1lb Flaked Corn
1lb Minute Rice
.5lb Corn Sugar

1oz Willamette @ 60

S-05 Dry Yeast

Amylase Enzyme
Irish Moss
5tsp Yeast Nutrient

Take the sliced sweet potatoes and put them in whatever mashing vessel you are using at 150F Hold them there for 30min. Remove them and boil for 30min in a separate vessel. During that boil, add the flaked corn and minute rice to the mash, still at 150F. Also add the amylase enzyme at half the packages recommended level. If using a false bottom, rice hulls will be very necessary, use a ton. After the half hour, re-add the sweet potatoes to the mash. Mash for 1hour at 150F. Heat to 168F and hold for 10min. Strain off liquid into boil kettle.

Add BRS and Sugar to the liquid, stir well. Heat to Boil. Add Hops when boiling. Boil 60min.

Cool wort to 68F.

Add yeast and nutrient and hold at 68F for 3 weeks.

Bottle or keg, carbonate over 3 weeks.

Enjoy!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
DKershner
Recipes 

APPROXIMATE vitals of this beer (depends on mash efficiency):
OG 1.054
FG 1.010
ABV 5.5%
SRM 3.5
IBU 14.7

Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
4lb Brown Rice Syrup
.5lb Sorghum
2lb Sweet Potatoes
1lb Flaked Corn
1lb Minute Rice
I like it, already pulling in the sweet potatoes for the enzymes. This is definitely going to be on my list of next things to try. Maybe not this exact beer, but definitely on the adding sweet potatoes for enzymes.

Quick Reply