Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free Pyramid Apricot Ale attempt
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
No_Party
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashvegas, TN
Posts: 171
Default Gluten Free Pyramid Apricot Ale attempt

I am planning on brewing a clone of Pyramid Apricot Ale, as it was SWMBO's favorite beer before she had to go GF. I will list my recipe(for a 5gal batch), but I was wondering if anyone had brewed this, GF or not. I was planning on using the apricot extract during bottling as that's what I've heard most people have done when making an apricot ale.

4# Sorghum Extract (Briess)
3# Brown Rice Syrup (Briess)
1# Roasted Millet

.50 oz Nugget, pellet 13.00% (60 min)
.50 oz Nugget, pellet 13.00% (10 min)

SafBrew Wheat Ale Yeast WB-06

I will add the Apricot Extract during bottling phase to taste.

__________________
“When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading" - Paul Hornung
No_Party is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 578
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Party View Post
I am planning on brewing a clone of Pyramid Apricot Ale, as it was SWMBO's favorite beer before she had to go GF. I will list my recipe(for a 5gal batch), but I was wondering if anyone had brewed this, GF or not. I was planning on using the apricot extract during bottling as that's what I've heard most people have done when making an apricot ale.

4# Sorghum Extract (Briess)
3# Brown Rice Syrup (Briess)
1# Roasted Millet

.50 oz Nugget, pellet 13.00% (60 min)
.50 oz Nugget, pellet 13.00% (10 min)

SafBrew Wheat Ale Yeast WB-06

I will add the Apricot Extract during bottling phase to taste.
I don't know that I have anything directly useful to add to the discussion, but I've given an apricot beer some thought (my wife loves Magic Hat #9).

Have you used the wb-06 yeast in a GF beer before? (I've got a packet at home waiting to be used...)
__________________

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

dorklord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
No_Party
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashvegas, TN
Posts: 171
Default

I've seen but never tried Magic Hat #9. I may have to give it a whirl next time I hit the store. Is it an apricot ale? Oddly enough, Magic Hat bought out Pyramid a few years back. Then recently Magic Hat was purchased by Genesee, or so I was told by an employee at a local beer store when I told her my home brew idea.

I have not used the wb-06 yeast yet, but I figured since the original Pyramid Apricot Ale was really a hefeweizen, that it was the logical choice for this attempt. It'll be interesting to see what flavors it imparts on the GF beer. Now that you mention it, I will pull off a growler's worth to bottle before I add the extract, just to see what it tastes like without the apricot flavoring. Don't know why I didn't think of that before

__________________
“When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading" - Paul Hornung
No_Party is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 578
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Party View Post
I've seen but never tried Magic Hat #9. I may have to give it a whirl next time I hit the store. Is it an apricot ale? Oddly enough, Magic Hat bought out Pyramid a few years back. Then recently Magic Hat was purchased by Genesee, or so I was told by an employee at a local beer store when I told her my home brew idea.

I have not used the wb-06 yeast yet, but I figured since the original Pyramid Apricot Ale was really a hefeweizen, that it was the logical choice for this attempt. It'll be interesting to see what flavors it imparts on the GF beer. Now that you mention it, I will pull off a growler's worth to bottle before I add the extract, just to see what it tastes like without the apricot flavoring. Don't know why I didn't think of that before
I've never tried the Magic Hat #9, but based on smell, description on the bottle, and my wife's info, it seems that it is a pale ale with apricot flavoring.
__________________

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

dorklord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default

I made a very similar beer.

I added strawberry until it faded away and then added apricot. Both were big hits.

__________________
DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
No_Party
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashvegas, TN
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
I made a very similar beer.

I added strawberry until it faded away and then added apricot. Both were big hits.
That is very promising, although the fact that it took you so long to finish it makes me think that I should make this a half batch.

Did you add apricot extract or something homemade when the strawberry flavor faded? I didn't think about adding maltodextrine to this one. Do you think I should?
__________________
“When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading" - Paul Hornung
No_Party is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
No_Party
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashvegas, TN
Posts: 171
Default

And you have some kickass recipes on there. I may have to brew your stout recipe next

__________________
“When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading" - Paul Hornung
No_Party is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Party View Post
That is very promising, although the fact that it took you so long to finish it makes me think that I should make this a half batch.

Did you add apricot extract or something homemade when the strawberry flavor faded? I didn't think about adding maltodextrine to this one. Do you think I should?
My fiancee is not too swift of a beer drinker, she concentrates on the wine. She also forgot it was on tap for awhile. She thought it was delicious, though, and drank it faster than most other beers.

I added a smaller amount of strawberries than is normal because I wanted it to be fairly faint. Even then, it stuck around a few months.

In summary, Make a full batch!
__________________
DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Party View Post
And you have some kickass recipes on there. I may have to brew your stout recipe next
The coffee stout turned out quite interesting. Definitely a love or hate type beer, directly proportional to how much someone loves coffee. If you want a wider audience, use less coffee.

That one is still on tap.
__________________
DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
stefan1011
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 55
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Party View Post
I am planning on brewing a clone of Pyramid Apricot Ale, as it was SWMBO's favorite beer before she had to go GF. I will list my recipe(for a 5gal batch), but I was wondering if anyone had brewed this, GF or not. I was planning on using the apricot extract during bottling as that's what I've heard most people have done when making an apricot ale.

4# Sorghum Extract (Briess)
3# Brown Rice Syrup (Briess)
1# Roasted Millet

.50 oz Nugget, pellet 13.00% (60 min)
.50 oz Nugget, pellet 13.00% (10 min)

SafBrew Wheat Ale Yeast WB-06

I will add the Apricot Extract during bottling phase to taste.
This recipe looks really good. My question is what type of Apricot extract did you use? I can get Brewer's Best Apricot Extract at my LHBS but I don't know if it is gluten free or not. I emailed LD Carlson but haven't heard anything back yet. I can get Oregon Apricot Puree, which is 100% fruit, making it ok for a GF beer. If I can get the same result from an extract though, I would go that route.
__________________
stefan1011 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Me, I'm Gluten Free... BernsBrews Gluten Free Brewing 14 11-29-2011 05:08 PM
Gluten Free Ale 5280brew Gluten Free Brewing 5 12-15-2010 03:19 PM
gluten free mcody2005 Gluten Free Brewing 15 09-18-2010 01:26 AM
Gluten Free IPA RaffsPub Gluten Free Brewing 20 01-28-2010 12:11 AM
Gluten Free Old Ale hjherbenson Gluten Free Brewing 26 12-04-2009 06:59 PM