Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

Either increase the bittering add about 1/2 oz., if your hops are right at 6.5%. I prefer to use high-AA hops for bittering, Columbus mainly. I've never seen the point of using a heap of low AA hops to bitter an IPA.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
RaffsPub
Recipes 

I just wanted to follow up with this and note how it came out.

It is very hoppy and a little sweet. Almost tastes like a mix of a wheat and an IPA. It is definitely the best GF beer i have made (only made two) and possibly the best GF beer I have had period (I usually drink Bards when i buy).

The one issue was that there was almost no head and the carbonation was very light. Do you think that adding more maltodextrin would correct this without effecting the taste? Also would adding more priming sugar solve the carbonation issue? Is there a negative to adding too much priming sugar(within reason)?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

Excellent news. I don't have a problem with gluten, but commercial GF beers are rather limited.

MD helps with head-retention, but won't create head, that takes protein. On priming sugar, the amount of sugar used is small enough you won't notice a flavor change. Even doubling it, won't hurt.

You might want to re-post the recipe exactly as you made it. Or edit the original.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #14
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
You might want to re-post the recipe exactly as you made it. Or edit the original.
Good news indeed. Yea please do. I'm anxious about my GF brew. Bottling it tomorrow. I hope it's pretty good when it's done, or at least not complete crap.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 387

any updates on this?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:36 AM   #16
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry miss read this post.

"Carpe Diem"

Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #17
grizzarkhov
Recipes 

Default final recipe?

I'd love to see the final recipe for what you ended up brewing. We used a kit for the first GF beer we brewed and it blew. I like bards. I'd love to try yours out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffsPub View Post
I just wanted to follow up with this and note how it came out.

It is very hoppy and a little sweet. Almost tastes like a mix of a wheat and an IPA. It is definitely the best GF beer i have made (only made two) and possibly the best GF beer I have had period (I usually drink Bards when i buy).

The one issue was that there was almost no head and the carbonation was very light. Do you think that adding more maltodextrin would correct this without effecting the taste? Also would adding more priming sugar solve the carbonation issue? Is there a negative to adding too much priming sugar(within reason)?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #18
PatientZero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffsPub View Post

With priming sugar, you will notice almost NO change in flavor. The yeast in your beer will "eat" nearly all of the sugar (I forget the fermentablility of dextrose, sorry), so nothing will be left over to taint flavor. You COULD use table sugar, as it is 99 percent fermentable and may create more CO2. Many people claim a "cidery" taste with table sugar, but I've used it a couple times and never had any issue. The problem you may run into, however, is bottle bombs. I don't know how much priming sugar will be too much, but I'm sure someone around here does.
MaltoDextrin will add body, but probably not head. As someone mentioned before me, it takes protein to create head and head retention.
Well, duh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Man, firecrackers, ya stick 'em in mailboxes, you drop 'em in toilets, shove 'em up bullfrogs asses.

Just is.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientZero View Post
With priming sugar, you will notice almost NO change in flavor. The yeast in your beer will "eat" nearly all of the sugar (I forget the fermentablility of dextrose, sorry), so nothing will be left over to taint flavor. You COULD use table sugar, as it is 99 percent fermentable and may create more CO2. Many people claim a "cidery" taste with table sugar, but I've used it a couple times and never had any issue. The problem you may run into, however, is bottle bombs. I don't know how much priming sugar will be too much, but I'm sure someone around here does.
MaltoDextrin will add body, but probably not head. As someone mentioned before me, it takes protein to create head and head retention.
Priming sugar, table or dextrose (corn) will make no change in flavor. The amount depends on the carbonation level, but for standard (2.4) you need 3/4 cup or so of dextrose for bottles, 1/2c or so for kegs. Slightly less for table sugar as it is slightly more fermentable.

Bottle bombs come from not letting your beer fully ferment and have nothing to do with priming sugar.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #20
PatientZero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Priming sugar, table or dextrose (corn) will make no change in flavor. The amount depends on the carbonation level, but for standard (2.4) you need 3/4 cup or so of dextrose for bottles, 1/2c or so for kegs. Slightly less for table sugar as it is slightly more fermentable.

Bottle bombs come from not letting your beer fully ferment and have nothing to do with priming sugar.
Ahh...gotcha. I've never had a bottle bomb, so I've never looked into it much. But I still assume that too much priming sugar could create bottle bombs...dormant yeast from fermentation converts the priming sugar into CO2, so wouldn't more sugar mean more CO2? And wouldn't too much CO2 lead bottles to explode?

Not arguing, just looking for enlightenment...
Well, duh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Man, firecrackers, ya stick 'em in mailboxes, you drop 'em in toilets, shove 'em up bullfrogs asses.

Just is.

Quick Reply