Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free Imperial IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
tbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gluten Free Imperial IPA

Trying to come up with a recipe for a GF Imperial IPA, A friend has contracted me to create some GF beers for her, she has requested an Imperial IPA, but haven't seen any GF recipes for this style. If any of you have tried Ska Brewings Decadent Imperial IPA that is what I am shooting for, but GF.

I was thinking of just adding more of everything to this recipe
7 lbs Liquid Light Extract
0.23 lbs Molasses
0.25 lbs Dark Brown Sugar
1.0 lbs Honey
0.8 oz Yakima Magnum (14.50%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.50 oz Centennial (10.00%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
0.50 oz Centennial (10.00%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
8.00 fl oz White Labs WLP008 East Coast Ale

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Isn't there gluten in malt extract?

Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
tbeard
Recipes 

I got this recipe from http://web.pdx.edu/~burtona/Gluten%20Free%20Beer.html I agree that malt usually has gluten, perhaps his light extract does not.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

One would think he is talking sorghum extract, but the link is verboten.

I don't think this is GF either: White Labs WLP008 East Coast Ale

Add 2 lbs of extract and 1/2 lb of honey. Kick the bittering hops to an ounce.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 03-26-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
One would think he is talking sorghum extract, but the link is verboten.

I don't think this is GF either: White Labs WLP008 East Coast Ale

Add 2 lbs of extract and 1/2 lb of honey. Kick the bittering hops to an ounce.
All light barley liquid extract has barley in it, there are no exceptions. Sorghum is your key.

White labs has 2ppm gluten in the final product. That is very little, but can still set off the most sensitive celiacs. I don't think it is worth it for East coast ale though, just use S-05.

For what it's worth, I would take that recipe, lose the molasses, add 3 lbs of a combo of sugar or honey, and make all of those hop additions an ounce, and add a dry hop of an ounce of centennial. Oh, and change light LME to sorghum syrup.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
tbeard
Recipes 

So If i were to subculture a WLP008 onto a plate, then culture back into GF media, I could remove all the gluten, or just dilute into GF media down below say 2ppb. I am asking if WLP008 produces gluten, or if it is the media that contains gluten. Thanks

Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard View Post
So If i were to subculture a WLP008 onto a plate, then culture back into GF media, I could remove all the gluten, or just dilute into GF media down below say 2ppb. I am asking if WLP008 produces gluten, or if it is the media that contains gluten. Thanks
It is grown on barley to begin with. I am not sure how you could remove the initial media, but yeast itself only produces CO2 and ethanol.

EDIT: I think you might be right though that culturing the media on GF mediums would dilute the amount of gluten even lower. Good thought.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
tbeard
Recipes 

Is subculturing not well known? I am a microbiologist and this is a very common method for me, maybe I will write a how-to on removing gluten from media.

On a further note, I checked the gluten free certification organization website, to be certified gluten free " to meet the minimum GFCO standard of less than 10 ppm gluten in a finished product." So it seems that WLP008 should meet GF standards, but I suspect that some people are more intolerant than the 10ppm standard

Old 03-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard View Post
Is subculturing not well known? I am a microbiologist and this is a very common method for me, maybe I will write a how-to on removing gluten from media.

On a further note, I checked the gluten free certification organization website, to be certified gluten free " to meet the minimum GFCO standard of less than 10 ppm gluten in a finished product." So it seems that WLP008 should meet GF standards, but I suspect that some people are more intolerant than the 10ppm standard
No, it is not well known. I culture yeast, which is fairly advanced in the homebrew world...and I have no idea what you are talking about.

You are correct on all points in your second paragraph.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
No, it is not well known. I culture yeast, which is fairly advanced in the homebrew world...and I have no idea what you are talking about.

You are correct on all points in your second paragraph.
I'm guessing he's referring to something like, say, putting some yeast from the package onto a gluten free medium, like Agar, and washing off all the liquid medium, and letting the yeast develop a colony on the Agar, and then (I would assume) making a starter from that colony. It would possible to have a tiny amount of gluten that would have been left on your agar plate, and then some of that could transfer to your starter, but at this point it would be so low, I doubt it would be detectable (probably not even into the ppb range, so thousands of times below the 20 ppm standard).

Of course, doing this without getting bacterial contamination requires a significant level of sterilization.

I'd like to note, that I don't have a degree in microbiology, but that was my original major in college. And my wife did get a degree in biology.

Of course, I think all that work would be a little overboard, if you wanted to, you could make a big starter from the white labs yeast, and grow it on a GF media. If you wanted, you could pitch only a small amount of the liquid yeast into your starter, so you'll be reducing the gluten content quite a bit there, and then you could try harvesting active yeast from the liquid (not the yeast cake) during the fermentation of your starter. If you use 10% of the vial to make your starter, and then use 10% of the starter as the actual yeast to pitch, you should have reduced the gluten concentration from 12 ppm to .12, and it will then get diluted even further into however many gallons of wort...

Quick Reply