Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free Brewing Observations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
FatMonsters
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsta View Post
How would fruit go with this recipe? I have a friend with celiac's as well and she loves wine. She would be interested in how it would taste with Rasperries, etc. It'd get her to try some decent beer for a change.
I had never thought of this! This is a great idea. I think next time I would definitely pursue this idea. Maybe some strawberries or apricots. Or Raspberries in your case. I would probably lower the succanat sugar in the recipe. The succanat is a little strong on molasses and rum flavors. Although with the right fruit, it may not matter...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
FatMonsters
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbillionethans View Post
I'd be interested to hear your opinion of the sucanat. I got mine at the local hippie grocery store...they have it packaged and bulk.

In my "tripel", the sucanat lends a rum-like sweetness that really comes out as the beer warms up. IMHO, I think sucanat is quite a bit different than some of the other sugars.
Yeah the succanat is different, but I really like it. I got mine at the health foood store as I posted and I was thinking of keeping it as a stock sugar in my house for other uses. It does have a rum flavor but I also pick up some molasses in it to. I hope it doesn't overpower the beer!

I definitely keep this thread up to date as the beer progresses. Last night found airlock out of control again, but little or no krausen. So far so good.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
Kimsta

Recipes 

I think my next batch will be a sorghum beer so i'll throw up a recipe when it's time! Most likely will use frozen fruit since nothing is in season yet. Does sorghum itself lend a light colored beer, or does it come out brown/heavy?

Old 05-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
FatMonsters
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsta View Post
Does sorghum itself lend a light colored beer, or does it come out brown/heavy?
Extremely light color! The syrup from NB that I used came out extremely light in color. The succanat sugar added the color, which wasn't much.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:16 AM   #15
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulcahey's Brewing View Post
I ordered the ingredients (malt syrup, hops and yeast) from Northern Brewer. The syrup, hops and yeast is $18-$20. I ordered stuff for my wheat ale at the same time so I had it all shipped for the brew saver special of $7.99 (I think that is the cost?). So not bad on the cost from NB.

The succanat sugar I got from the health food store in town. I want to say that was $4 - $5 for a 2 .lb bag. And then the Orange Blossom Honey I got from the local supermarket at $3 for a 12 oz plastic bottle. Worst case, without shipping costs, is $28 - $30. Not bad...
Thanks for the tip Not bad at all I must say
Cheers

JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 05-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #16
FatMonsters
Recipes 

Update:

I did not use a secondary. I got busy with work and house repairs so it sat in primary (better bottle) for three weeks. I bottled on Saturday 5/24. Taste from primary into the bottles was a light beer with a tiny cidery flavor. Coming form the succanat sugar?? I'm not sure.

Just have to wait until it matures in the bottle to see what it'll be.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #17
yeastybeasty
Recipes 

Doing gluten-free beers this way will get you drinkable brews but not great ones. You really need to make your own GF base + specialty malts to get that "real" (malty) beer flavour, although it still won't be quite like a barley or wheat-based beer. It's an awful lot of work and the brewing process is long/ complicated but it's worth it, for me anyway. Here's a good resource: http://www.sillyyak.com.au/gfb/index.html

Old 05-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #18
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I have a nephew who has Celiac's. He is 18 now and I promised him a batch of gluten free beer for his 21st birthday, so this is great info. I will save the recipe. Who knew there were some many people who were gluten-intolerant?

My question is this - subjectively, how is the taste? Is it adequately "beery" for an average beer drinker? Or is it one of those brews that we try at a beer tasting, where we conceal a grimace and pronounce it to be "interesting?"

Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #19
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would just like to add this to the conversation for anyone brewing for someone with an extreme gluten intolerance like celiac disease:

MAKE SURE YOUR YEAST IS GLUTEN FREE

Most yeast is cultured using barley or wheat, so be careful.

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."
Jean-Marie Rock, head brewer at Orval

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY
---serious -mod edit- business---

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #20
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Most yeast companies I know of use molasses to grow yeast. It is a cheap by product of sugar making and has been used for years.

Quick Reply