Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free Birthday Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #21
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteThought View Post
If I replaced the brown sugar with Candi sugar, and carmelized the honey that would make for a much fuller beer. Think its enough?
But there is more to it than just the level of fermentables, you want something that tastes like how you want to malt backbone of the beer to taste.

The simple sugar will taste like nothing, or plain alcohol burn.
The carm. honey will taste like...whatever that tastes like.
The Dark Sugar will have some sweet fruit/prune/raisin notes.
The BRS has a faint flavor, difficult to describe, but sort of like overcooked white rice. Described by my GF as "Bisquick".

So, does this sound like a beer you would want to drink? If so, then just give us a new recipe and we can help you make slight adjustments to get the FG where you want it to be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #22
fermentedhiker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm curious about the issue with mouthfeel. As I mentioned in my own thread I've made wine for years and routinely add as much if not more simple sugars to attain the target OG without having a thin wine. I generally shoot for dry or nearly so. Mouthfeel in wine is produced by glycerin, phenols, tannins as well as non-fermentable sugars. I can make a wine that has an FG of 1.000 or pretty close that has 12-14 percent ABV and still have plenty of mouthfeel. Is this not the case with beer? Although looking at the recipe it does seem a little light on the complex flavor component side with simple sugars weighing in at almost the same as the grains.

As for names would it be inappropriate to add "imperial" before it's designation if it's an Ale or something like "dopple" if it's a Lager? These indicate higher gravity without referencing the actual ingredients. Just thinking out loud.

Adam

Old 09-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
Someone did a heavily cooked honey in their brew. IIRC, it was less fermentable and gave it some serious color. I would imagine it to have a taste similar to brown sugar for some reason.

EDIT: Found it: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/car...-color-179579/
Have you guys seen this?

I'm actually considering doing this on Sunday along with the barleywine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #24
DKershner
Recipes 

Too me, a rich, full wine would be a thin mouthfeel for a beer. It is just a different beverage in my eyes and hard to compare though. Wine routinely has lots of sucrose mixed with the piles of fructose, at least in fruit wines, whereas beer is routinely 100% grain malt. That being said, perhaps the mouthfeel of a simple sugar dominated beer wont bother you, but I think a "wine-like" mouthfeel on a beer would feel too thin to me.

In any case, to add mouthfeel, why don't you toss some oats in your mash? I also hear bananas can do wonders and maybe better for you with your wine roots.

Imperial/Doppel/Double would work, but yours is more like a Quad, but that of course makes it sound Belgian, which it isnt.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #25
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Have you guys seen this?

I'm actually considering doing this on Sunday along with the barleywine.
I just wonder how fermentable that is...seems like it would be ultra-sweet if it really loses all that fermentability.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #26
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
I just wonder how fermentable that is...seems like it would be ultra-sweet if it really loses all that fermentability.
I don't know, sadly Johnny Max appears to have shifted interest away from brewing to evidently, survivalism, and hasn't updated much of his brew related stuff, especially the making of the brochet. If I do do it, at least I can follow up for folks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #27
InfiniteThought
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

unfortunately I cannot eat oats either
I am going to have to think this over and post a revised recipe. Thanks for all the help, Ill be back later with the recipe.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #28
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I don't know, sadly Johnny Max appears to have shifted interest away from brewing to evidently, survivalism, and hasn't updated much of his brew related stuff, especially the making of the brochet. If I do do it, at least I can follow up for folks.
http://www.mrbeerfans.com/ubbthreads...&Number=166510

This guy seems to be a little more measurement oriented than the guy with a goat next to a firepit.

He also says his ended up at 7.3% ABV and he didn't cook his near as long as the other.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #29
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteThought View Post
unfortunately I cannot eat oats either
I am going to have to think this over and post a revised recipe. Thanks for all the help, Ill be back later with the recipe.
Hmmm...is this an elective non-eating? Otherwise, there are gluten-free oats you know...

In any case, let us know, we will be here discussing roastied honey.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #30
Revvy

Recipes 

Thanks for the link!!!! Yeah I think "The Professor" is probably a tad more scientific than the "BrEw CrAzY" guy.

Quick Reply