Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free Beer Ingredient List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #41
celiacsurvivor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeinwa View Post
I thought you Kiwi's could make a certain amount of distilled spirits for you personal comsumption, so you really don't have to call it "moonshine".

leeinwa
I'm actually an Irishman masquerading as a kiwi. But you're right, you can buy a basic still at your LHBS. I've never done it myself but have some friends that do.

We lived in the country in Ireland and a few of our neighbours made poitin (potcheen (Irish moonshine)) I was too young to try it but my dad says it was the most disgusting drink he's ever had.
__________________
celiacsurvivor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #42
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Moses Lake
Posts: 103
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celiacsurvivor View Post
I'm actually an Irishman masquerading as a kiwi. But you're right, you can buy a basic still at your LHBS. I've never done it myself but have some friends that do.

We lived in the country in Ireland and a few of our neighbours made poitin (potcheen (Irish moonshine)) I was too young to try it but my dad says it was the most disgusting drink he's ever had.


The comman perception in the US [ not mine of course] is that an Irishman will drink anything and not complain. My father-in-law was 1/2 Irish, [his dad was all Irishman] transplanted to Minnesota with all the Scandinavians and I never heard him say a bad word about any thing that contained alcohol. LOL There were lots of moonshiners in the woods of Minnesota during proabition and I've heard there are still a few people back there that do it for private consumption which is in the US is illegal.
__________________
Leeinwa is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2010, 03:38 AM   #43
EcuBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Andes
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celiacsurvivor View Post
Serious???

I know it makes great moonshine.
Potatoes do make good beer! And they are gluten free...

They would not make great spirit (no pun intended) if the product (beer or whatever it's called in the distilling process) you started from where not of good quality.

With distilling, it's not "Cr*p in, cr*p out", it's actually worse:
"Cr*p in, concentrated cr*p out!"
It's a fallacy to think that good alcohol can be distilled from any kind of junk liquid containing alcohol. Good distillers pay a lot of attention to the beer / wine they produce or obtain from elsewhere.
A lot of "contaminants" do not get eliminated through the distilling process, but to the contrary become more concentrated in the end product. Sulphite is a good example.
I strongly dislike the word moonshine BTW, it has a very bad connotation. It's sad that any alcohol that is not produced by anyone "non-commercial" is immediately labelled or it least thought of as moonshine. I have many times tasted liquor from amateurs that tasted way better than most of the commercial stuff. The same often goes for beer. Wouldn't it be sad if people would generally think of home brewed beer the same way? I guess some people do. These days, if something doesn't come from a "specialist" (you probably know what I mean), it is often automatically looked down upon as something that has to be inferior.
__________________
EcuBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #44
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcuBrew View Post
Potatoes do make good beer! And they are gluten free...

They would not make great spirit (no pun intended) if the product (beer or whatever it's called in the distilling process) you started from where not of good quality.

With distilling, it's not "Cr*p in, cr*p out", it's actually worse:
"Cr*p in, concentrated cr*p out!"
It's a fallacy to think that good alcohol can be distilled from any kind of junk liquid containing alcohol. Good distillers pay a lot of attention to the beer / wine they produce or obtain from elsewhere.
A lot of "contaminants" do not get eliminated through the distilling process, but to the contrary become more concentrated in the end product. Sulphite is a good example.
I strongly dislike the word moonshine BTW, it has a very bad connotation. It's sad that any alcohol that is not produced by anyone "non-commercial" is immediately labelled or it least thought of as moonshine. I have many times tasted liquor from amateurs that tasted way better than most of the commercial stuff. The same often goes for beer. Wouldn't it be sad if people would generally think of home brewed beer the same way? I guess some people do. These days, if something doesn't come from a "specialist" (you probably know what I mean), it is often automatically looked down upon as something that has to be inferior.
That is generally how homebrew is thought of too. Only recently has it started to actually be something that is accepted. Distilling could become the same way, but there is more baggage from prohibition from that than there was beer. No one went blind or died from beer making, although that thought crosses people's minds too.

Anyway, get back to the potato beer stuff. Do you have a recipe? How do you mash them? (No pun intended)
DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #45
BBBF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,046
Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcuBrew View Post
Don't forget potatoes, makes a nice beer!
I have sweet potatoes on my list to experiment with. There have to be some helpful enzymes in there.
__________________
BBBF is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #46
celiacsurvivor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 87
Default

My apologies, you are right the moonshine comment comes mainly from my ignorance, and stereotyles.

Although I know a few guys who make their own spirits I've never tried it, but you are 100% right that I'd say alot of them are better than the stuff you buy commercially.

I still get people laughing at me for brewing my own, they think the only reason to make your own alcohol is so you can increase the ABV and get loaded faster and cheaper. When the real reason we brew ourselves is to improve the taste of the beer (and for the fun of it).

So again sorry for any offence I may have caused.

__________________
celiacsurvivor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 02:15 AM   #47
celiacsurvivor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
I have sweet potatoes on my list to experiment with. There have to be some helpful enzymes in there.
Do you add them to the mash? do you boil them first? wouldn't it cause a big sticky mess and a stuck sparge?
__________________
celiacsurvivor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 05:39 AM   #48
EcuBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Andes
Posts: 26
Default

Celiacsurvivor: I did not take offence,don't worry. I just wanted to clarify things a bit and it would be good to take that word out of our vocabulary. Or it least use the word in the proper context.
It were, from what I understand, mostly the bootleggers who created this whole bad reputation when they were doing all kinds of criminal stuff to beat the money out of people's pockets during Prohibition (another conspiracy). They mixed all kinds of stuff into real ethanol or denatured (!) alcohol, even added methanol. Apparently some government types were involved as well.

As for my home brewing: I don't try to clone a particular beer, what's the sense? But I may want to brew something similar to a Belgian White for example.
I brew because I want to know what's in my beer.
I do it because it's cheaper and because I have better alternatives than spending it on t*xes.
It's a lot of fun, nothing's better than what you do yourself, I don't believe it's only the "specialists" out there who can brew a good beer. (Up until not that long ago mainly woman brewed at home).
After years of doing the opposite (buying into common ideas out there) I don't believe in aging beer, so I drink it as soon as I can.
I don't brew because I want to get drunk, so I make low alcohol beer. It still has body,because it is unfiltered.
I want organic beer so I make malt from organic barley and add other organic grains.
It's fun making and improving my own equipment.

__________________
EcuBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #49
EcuBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Andes
Posts: 26
Default

DKershner

Anyway, get back to the potato beer stuff. Do you have a recipe? How do you mash them? (No pun intended)[/QUOTE]

Give me a bit of time and remind me in a week or so if you don't see a reply by then: I am getting out of the rat race, moving to another country, so a lot of my stuff is packed already. I should be able to dig up my notes though, good thing to have a good inventory list to find in which box they are

__________________
EcuBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #50
EcuBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Andes
Posts: 26
Default

Potato beer recipe #1:


Date: 25/01/92

10 kg Pale Malt Dingemans

12 kg potatoes 2/3 unpeeled, 1/3 peeled

Mash water: 30 L

Pressure cooked potatoes and put through food mill
Food mill = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_mill

Started mashing at 62C
14:30: 72C
14:45: 70C
15:00: 68C Iodine test: nearly completely converted
15:30: 65C
Raised temp to 75C

Start Lautering: 16:45

H2O for lautering: 80C

Used very wide lautertun with false bottom and fly-sparging rotating arm. Grain layer 10cm deep.

Lautered until ~19:00 no problems

First Wort: ~60L SG: 1052 boiled for 1:45hrs > SG:1058 60grams hops added 30 min before end of boiling

Second Wort: ~ 30L SG: ???? boiled for 1:30hrs > SG: 1023 20grams hops and 20grams Coreander + half a stick of licorice (natural stick, not the black extract sticks)

First fermentation was finished in 48 hrs :SG: 1015, went down to SG: 1011

This made an excellent beer, the second batch of wort with the lowest SG was best!

I stored some and drank the last of it 26 months later (280494):
delicious, nice colour, very clear, big bubbles, but didn’t keep a head for very long.

__________________

Last edited by EcuBrew; 10-11-2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: spelling + additions
EcuBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
please make this a sticky

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gluten Free Beer kontreren Introductions 2 08-25-2008 02:55 PM
Gluten-Free Beer Llama Recipes/Ingredients 6 04-21-2008 07:47 AM
Gluten Free beer srm775 Recipes/Ingredients 3 01-09-2008 01:09 AM
Gluten-Free Beer pilkinga General Beer Discussion 4 12-27-2005 04:27 PM