Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free Beer Ingredient List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #11
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
"Malt" and Adjuncts:
  • Sorghum, both in raw form, Syrup Extract, and Syrup itself. The syrup extract is the closest thing to barley in terms of FAN, enzymes, and sugar content, but imparts a tangy, bitter, or citrusy aftertaste. This is the most highly used ingredient in gluten free beer. The syrup itself has unknown properties at this time for brewing. Raw form is also fairly unknown. Note: The roots of raw sorghum can contain cyanide and must be removed.
  • Brown Rice Syrup and Solids. Imparts a slight sweetness in taste to the brew, but ferments out similarly to sorghum or malt extract. Little FAN, may have problems converting on it's own.
  • Buckwheat, raw. Imparts a slight wheat-like flavor that can change with how long it is roasted. Often used for color. No enzymes.
  • Chestnut chips. Closest to barley flavor of the gluten free grains. No enzymes, so they must be added, typically amylase is used.
  • Corn Sugar, table sugar, candi sugar, corn syrup, etc. All impart their own colors and flavors and can be used as in gluten beer.
  • Maltodextrin. MOST of the time this ingredient is gluten free, especially in the US, check with your provider to be sure. Used for additional body in the beer.
  • Rice. Minute Rice is suggested to be used due to its ability to convert itself.
  • Oats. Make sure you get ones designated as 'gluten free' or else they could be crop rotated with wheat or packaged using equipment that also does wheat containing products. Used for mouthfeel, body, and head retention.

Hops:
All hops are gluten free.

Yeast:

Yeasts that are completely gluten free:
  • All Fermentis Safale and Saflager Dry Yeasts - US05, S04, S33, T58, WB06, etc.
  • All Danstar/Lallemand/DCL Labs Dry Yeast Products - Nottingham, Windsor, etc.
  • Red Star Wine and Champagne Yeast - Montrachet, Pasteur, etc.

Yeasts that are almost gluten free:
  • White Labs Yeast - All including Wine and Mead Yeast
  • This Yeast contains 12ppm in the slurry, a number slightly above the less than 10ppm requirement to be called gluten free. However, the final product (5gal of beer) only has 2ppm.

Yeasts that are not gluten free:
  • Any Wyeast Yeast, including Wine and Mead Yeast

For strategies on how to reduce or eliminate gluten from yeast, see this link.

Any additions or suggestions, let me know.

GOOD ARTICLE! For good nutritional info on a lot of foods go to nutriondata.com They really have good complete break down and nutritional info. You are right about chestnuts being very close to malted barley. The only real difference is the sugar availability. And unlike some other grains they contain very little fats. About 3-4 percent, about the same as barley, hence the amylase.

leeinwa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sorghum Sryup

Guess I'm telling my age on this one. Back in the 40's when I was a wee laddy I remember watching my grandpa press sorghum cane through a large cast iron gogged press powered by a long pole with a mule walking around in circles. The sap was then taken to a big cast caldron and boiled down to the right consistency and trasferred to a large wooden barrel. I was just back to the Ozarks in Missouri for a visit and my cousin has a simular one decorating his yard. I tried using sorghum as a supplemental bee food one winter and was told not to use it because of high ash [mineral] content. Both the sorghum seeds and the sorghum syrup[made from the cane sap] are VERY high in mineral content. This is probably why they impart a bitter taste, especially from the potassium and iron. Also, sorghum seed contains about 10% fat. Twice the amount of barley.

As I said previously, go to nutritiondata.com to find out what's in some of the non-gluten ingredients you want to use in your brews. You might find things that really effect the flavor and overall chemistry.

Skol

leeinwa

Old 04-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default GF Oats

dkershner mentioned GF oats. Bob's Red Mill Barn a big supplier on many grain products in Portland OR, used to have GF oats but the last time I checked he had stopped because he could not find any source that would dedicate land for oat production only, and even at that, many times certified oat seed will contain wheat seed from the past. It's hard to detect in fields because the oats are so much taller. If a person REALLY wanted it, he could grow a small patch in his garden if he had one. He could hand sort his seeds to make sure there were no foreign seeds. It wouldn't take much space to grow a half bushel or so.

leeinwa

Old 04-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeinwa View Post
dkershner mentioned GF oats. Bob's Red Mill Barn a big supplier on many grain products in Portland OR, used to have GF oats but the last time I checked he had stopped because he could not find any source that would dedicate land for oat production only, and even at that, many times certified oat seed will contain wheat seed from the past. It's hard to detect in fields because the oats are so much taller. If a person REALLY wanted it, he could grow a small patch in his garden if he had one. He could hand sort his seeds to make sure there were no foreign seeds. It wouldn't take much space to grow a half bushel or so.

leeinwa
I saw Bob's Oats in the store just the other day, I think they are back.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeinwa View Post
Both the sorghum seeds and the sorghum syrup[made from the cane sap] are VERY high in mineral content. This is probably why they impart a bitter taste, especially from the potassium and iron. Also, sorghum seed contains about 10% fat. Twice the amount of barley.

As I said previously, go to nutritiondata.com to find out what's in some of the non-gluten ingredients you want to use in your brews. You might find things that really effect the flavor and overall chemistry.
I put a post sorting some of that out here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/gf-...alents-168609/

Bottom line was:
Wheat ~ Millet, Teff
Barley ~ Sorghum, Chestnuts
Rye ~ Buckwheat
Oats ~ GF Oats (duh), Quinoa, Amaranth

Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #16
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Mods, please sticky this thread!

Here's a brief flowchart that can be useful for beginners too:

Note:
I need to update the grain equivalents to be the following
Wheat ~ Millet, Teff
Barley ~ Sorghum, Chestnuts
Rye ~ Buckwheat
Oats ~ GF Oats (duh), Quinoa, Amaranth

Old 04-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Both added Aggie.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #18
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just PM'd ollllllo about a sticky on this one and the malting gluten free grains one

Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #19
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You know, as long we are discussing various GF ingredients, maybe we should list their 'specs' PPG, srm, fermentability?

What I've found online is in the past:

NB Sorghum extract: 37 ppg
Rice syrup solids: 40 ppg

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 05-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #20
jim5827
Recipes 

Can anyone tell me if after gelatinizing steel cut oats to extract the starches, would it be alright to steep them with other specialty grains for 30 miniuts prior to an extract based brew?

Tags
please make this a sticky

Quick Reply