Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free Beer Ingredient List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #111
blacklab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great info, DKershner. I lived in Bend for many years and miss it immensely. I was in town recently and stopped off at Deschutes. The new pub is amazing. They also mentioned they will be bottling their GF beer soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #112
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default GF Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
Great info, DKershner. I lived in Bend for many years and miss it immensely. I was in town recently and stopped off at Deschutes. The new pub is amazing. They also mentioned they will be bottling their GF beer soon.
Blacklab, Deschutes started out their GF beer using my chestnuts chips. a few years back. Great hit. Brewmaster left and went on own. Program drop and when restarted went to other GF subs. Go to Google and bring up Guten Free Chestnut Beer. Reviews and articles on Trails eEnd Chestnuts will cover most of 1st two pages

Leeinwa

Old 05-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #113
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

n00b question regarding Oats...

This list says they add mouthfeel and body, but is seems they are typically used in Stouts and Porters. Would these work well in lighter styles? I prefer IPA's.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #114
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanantos
n00b question regarding Oats...

This list says they add mouthfeel and body, but is seems they are typically used in Stouts and Porters. Would these work well in lighter styles? I prefer IPA's.
I use oats all the time in my barley based IPA recipes and pale ales too. Just be careful to ensure no cross contamination. You pretty much have to buy them online to ensure they are gluten free for Celiac purposes because oats are usually processed in wheat facilities on the same equipment (like LD Carlson's flaked oats are) or grown in a field rotated with wheat. A lot of the GF boards will say that is too much gluten. If you are only moderately sensitive you may be able to get away with the bulk bin rolled oats at Whole Foods (or other grocery store) which is what I like to use for pricing purposes. Just make sure to mash them while adding Amylase Enzyme (made by LD Carlson and available at most home brew supply shops).

Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #115
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski09 View Post
I use oats all the time in my barley based IPA recipes and pale ales too. Just be careful to ensure no cross contamination. You pretty much have to buy them online to ensure they are gluten free for Celiac purposes because oats are usually processed in wheat facilities on the same equipment (like LD Carlson's flaked oats are) or grown in a field rotated with wheat. A lot of the GF boards will say that is too much gluten. If you are only moderately sensitive you may be able to get away with the bulk bin rolled oats at Whole Foods (or other grocery store) which is what I like to use for pricing purposes. Just make sure to mash them while adding Amylase Enzyme (made by LD Carlson and available at most home brew supply shops).
Thanks, I think I might give it a try with some Bob's Red Mill oats from the health food store.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #116
beljica
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just wanted to drop a thanks, I've been forum stalking this site forever.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #117
John_Ferens
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the great info. Question: does anyone know if Amylase enzyme will act as both alpha and beta amylase on wild rice liquid, in place of using malt?

Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #118
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Ferens
Thanks for the great info. Question: does anyone know if Amylase enzyme will act as both alpha and beta amylase on wild rice liquid, in place of using malt?
I couldn't find an answer either, so I am just assuming its both since it doesn't specify. I figured it would be on the Internet if it only worked as one or the other...

Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #119
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

It depends on the brand of amylase. Crosby and Baker is pure alpha, and won't give you much fermentables. ECKraus "Diatase" [sic] has both, and seems to work well enough on rice. Just don't use it on quinoa, oats, amaranth, or anything with lots of grain dust. The elevated proteins and beta-glucans in these grains, as well as the raw cellulose in the grain dust, will make it difficult to get a clear fermentable wort with just amylase.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #120
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

I want to point out that GF oats are oats that are not contaminated with gluten from other grains.

Oats have a naturally occuring protein called avenin which is very similar to gluten and can cause a reaction in some people with coeliac disease. So even GF oats may cause problems for some people.

This is something to be aware of if you or someone you know is hyper-sensitive to gluten.

Link to more info
http://www.celiac.com/categories/Cel...n%252dFree%3F/

Tags
please make this a sticky

Quick Reply