Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free Beer Ingredient List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #101
oldbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartkid33 View Post
I just brewed a GF beer using a special millet from thehomebrewconnection.com rather than sorghum and it turned out tasting like real beer for a change. Has anyone else tried it and gotten the same result?
Here in England I malted some millet myself and did a 1 litre test with it; tried to do a stepped mash, added a bit of sugar to get the gravity up, hop extract, amylase, pectoalse, nutrient and yeast.
Agreeably surprised by how good it was.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #102
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

whats up guys. back to the potato thing; what if you boiled the potatoes (steeped w/e to get the starchy water) then added beano. doesn't that break down starches? or does it break down something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #103
BigfootCounty
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
I don't think it is that they add anything. I think the difference is that they getting an extract from the grain (seeds), while sorghum syrup is made from the sap.
sorghum is a grain and processed in a similar fashion to molasses

Old 12-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #104
ChloeBoggs
Recipes 

Default Hi

Thanks for this, Can't wait to try this out. It's nice to know that everyone can enjoy their beer even though they are allergic to certain substances like gluten.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #105
DougmanXL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey guys, I tried and failed at malting millet; whats the secret to your success? I used a cooler with a screen in it, drained it twice a day for 3 days, although it kept heating up - maybe I should have left the lid open, and put it outside? What is the ideal temp for malting millet anyway, and does millet heat up by itself as it is soaking? Would aerating the water help? Do you put them out to dry before, or after they start sprouting (mine never even started)? Is millet from the Bulk Barn okay to use? I get the feeling it has to be done very carefully.

how much malt could a millet malter malt if a millet malter could malt millet?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #106
The_Fuzz
Recipes 

I'm sure this has been considered, but can you use beans as a fermentable? I really don't like the taste of surghum, trying to think of something else! Not sure what abean brew would taste like .. .or smell like!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #107
mloster
Recipes 

If you did manage to make a beer out of beans, I fail to see from where the malt flavor would come. I'm not saying you shouldn't give it a go, but I really don't see it being beer. Maybe it'd be in it's own class of alcoholic beverages like sake. Unrelated to this, equating or drawing a parallel between oats and quinoa/ amaranth isn't perfect. I see how nutritionally speaking they made be made up of roughly the same macronutrients (carbs, fats, and proteins), but the analogy stops there. Quinoa, though higher in protein, is not going to give you a remotely close flavor profile to oats. It doesn't lend itself to a creamy mouthfeel, but helps with head retention. Quinoa can also give similar characteristics to the variations of roasted barley as long as similar roasting procedures are followed.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #108
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

DougmanXL, you need to make sure that the millet you are using has not been treated in any way.
I know that any millet coming into New Zealand is irradiated so it can't sprout and is therefore useless as far as malting is concerned.
If the millet didn't even start to sprout I would say there is something wrong with it and you should try a different supplier.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #109
mr_y82
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fuzz View Post
I'm sure this has been considered, but can you use beans as a fermentable? I really don't like the taste of surghum, trying to think of something else! Not sure what abean brew would taste like .. .or smell like!
bean beer... hmm... interesting idea... they actually make pretty killer brownies..
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/black-bean-brownies-recipe/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloster View Post
If you did manage to make a beer out of beans, I fail to see from where the malt flavor would come. I'm not saying you shouldn't give it a go, but I really don't see it being beer. Maybe it'd be in it's own class of alcoholic beverages like sake. Unrelated to this, equating or drawing a parallel between oats and quinoa/ amaranth isn't perfect. I see how nutritionally speaking they made be made up of roughly the same macronutrients (carbs, fats, and proteins), but the analogy stops there. Quinoa, though higher in protein, is not going to give you a remotely close flavor profile to oats. It doesn't lend itself to a creamy mouthfeel, but helps with head retention. Quinoa can also give similar characteristics to the variations of roasted barley as long as similar roasting procedures are followed.
thanks for all that info. even if you did choose a name eerily close to molester
just picking... I do appreciate the info.
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Ben Franklin 1779

Old 02-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #110
DougmanXL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by celiacsurvivor View Post
DougmanXL, you need to make sure that the millet you are using has not been treated in any way.
I know that any millet coming into New Zealand is irradiated so it can't sprout and is therefore useless as far as malting is concerned.
If the millet didn't even start to sprout I would say there is something wrong with it and you should try a different supplier.
Yeah it didn't sprout at all... stupid bulk barn probably does that. Thanks, guess I'll have to try and find another supplier...

how much malt could a millet malter malt if a millet malter could malt millet?

Tags
please make this a sticky

Quick Reply