Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Tripel Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
Well, since this is going to be my first GF brew...I don't want to wait too long. If it needs to age for 6 months, I doubt much of it will last that long. I know I want less than 1 oz in the Tripel, I'm just not sure how much...I'm thinkin a quarter to half an ounce. Then I'll have a little left for the next batch (which will probably be Wit, and will probably involve doing something to buckwheat or millet).
Sounds good, I would do a .25/.75 split.

And like I said, you don't have to wait, but keep a couple bottles that long and see what happens.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Sounds good, I would do a .25/.75 split.

And like I said, you don't have to wait, but keep a couple bottles that long and see what happens.
I doubt I'll be able to drink it all in a few months, anyway. Of course, how much other people want will be directly proportional to how good it comes out!

I keep checking the airlock on that non-gf tripel, I'm really hoping for a fast fermentation so I can transfer it to a carboy...

Speaking of which, I've heard people say there is significantly less krausen that forms on the GF beer, do you have a guess how much headspace you would need to safely ferment in a carboy? I could shoot for, say, a 4.5 gallon batch if that would let me primary in one of my carboys, and that might let me brew this batch on Saturday even if the Tripel isn't ready to transfer.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #13
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

@dorklord
You PM'd me too, but my inbox was full. Looks like we both need to look into upgrading our accounts.

Based on the discussion above, I think it might be a good strategy to brew 2 batches back to back. First brew a GF Wit so that you have lots of tasty beer within a month. And right after that then brew your GF Trippel. My reasons are empirical in that my first beer was a Trippel and I was so excited to drink it I had to try some, and it was decent. Then I tried some more, and some more, by the time I got to the end and it had aged for 3 months it was one of the best beers I've ever had...and I only had 2 more bottles. Start with a GF Wit, and by the time you run out your GF Trippel will be close to being ready.

Regarding the GF Wit recipe that you asked for, I don't have the recipe on-hand and am not nearly as organized as dkershner, but here's what I remember from the recipe:

GF Wit - Extract Edition
2 cups Quinoa
2 cups Buckwheat
2 cups Millet
You can malt, then toast/kiln the grains, or be lazy and just soak & toast the grains to desired level since they're specialty grains. Allow to off-gas for at least a few days before brewing.*

Extract:
6lbs Sorghum LME
1.25lbs GF Brown Rice LME (or 1lb Rice Syrup Solids will work)

Spices:
orange zest, corriander, and maybe some paradise seeds.
Follow your favorite beer in this style's clone recipe for tips.

Hops:
Can't remember which, just follow your favorite beer's clone and you should be fine.

Yeast:
White Labs Wit - Do not make a starter, Wits and Hefeweizens work better if you don't. Some people even recommend half-pitching to get better flavors.
(Note: White Labs will have up to 2ppm at the end. This is fine for most people, but if you or the consumer is super-sensitive then it could be an issue.)

Ferment:
Follow schedule of the yeast and your favorite clone recipe

Taste:
Delicious. I'm actually making it again next week.

I'll try to get the actual measurements from my sheet at home if I think about it this evening.

*Wit's use unmalted wheat anyway, so you could say you're being more authentic by NOT malting the grains.

Enjoy your first batch, cheers to good beer!

Last edited by aggieotis; 03-16-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: 3 weeks should have read 3 months. A Trippel won't be very good after 3 weeks.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Speaking of which, I've heard people say there is significantly less krausen that forms on the GF beer, do you have a guess how much headspace you would need to safely ferment in a carboy? I could shoot for, say, a 4.5 gallon batch if that would let me primary in one of my carboys, and that might let me brew this batch on Saturday even if the Tripel isn't ready to transfer.
Krausen isn't something I'd experiment with just yet. Once you've brewed a batch and know what your typical levels are, then plan for less. However, while most GF beers have a bit less krausen you don't want to find out the batch you put in a small container was the exception.

Because if you do you might get a stuck airlock, which then pressurizes the bottle while you're at work and then it explodes all over your closet, your clothes, the ceiling, the floor, the furniture in a nearby room, your computer, the walls... Not that that's happened to me, I would never do something dumb like stick an airlock on a Double IPA.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
DKershner
Recipes 

Krausen levels depends on yeast, fermentable sugars, proteins, temperature, yeast cell counts, and probably 7 other things. If you are using champagne yeast, you can use a smaller primary. If not, don't risk it, aggieotis provides a lovely description of why.

I have not noticed any difference in gluten free vs glutenous, though the proteins I named above would suggest slightly less krausen.

Also, I agree with aggieotis' scheduling. Wits are quick, you can drink it while you wait on the tripel. I never liked the taste of my tripel (too sorghumy) but I cannot tell you how much better it is after 6 months, night and day.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #16
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
@dorklord
You PM'd me too, but my inbox was full. Looks like we both need to look into upgrading our accounts.

Based on the discussion above, I think it might be a good strategy to brew 2 batches back to back. First brew a GF Wit so that you have lots of tasty beer within a month. And right after that then brew your GF Trippel. My reasons are empirical in that my first beer was a Trippel and I was so excited to drink it I had to try some, and it was decent. Then I tried some more, and some more, by the time I got to the end and it had aged for 3 weeks it was one of the best beers I've ever had...and I only had 2 more bottles. Start with a GF Wit, and by the time you run out your GF Trippel will be close to being ready.

Regarding the GF Wit recipe that you asked for, I don't have the recipe on-hand and am not nearly as organized as dkershner, but here's what I remember from the recipe:

GF Wit - Extract Edition
2 cups Quinoa
2 cups Buckwheat
2 cups Millet
You can malt, then toast/kiln the grains, or be lazy and just soak & toast the grains to desired level since they're specialty grains. Allow to off-gas for at least a few days before brewing.*

Extract:
6lbs Sorghum LME
1.25lbs GF Brown Rice LME (or 1lb Rice Syrup Solids will work)

Spices:
orange zest, corriander, and maybe some paradise seeds.
Follow your favorite beer in this style's clone recipe for tips.

Hops:
Can't remember which, just follow your favorite beer's clone and you should be fine.

Yeast:
White Labs Wit - Do not make a starter, Wits and Hefeweizens work better if you don't. Some people even recommend half-pitching to get better flavors.
(Note: White Labs will have up to 2ppm at the end. This is fine for most people, but if you or the consumer is super-sensitive then it could be an issue.)

Ferment:
Follow schedule of the yeast and your favorite clone recipe

Taste:
Delicious. I'm actually making it again next week.

I'll try to get the actual measurements from my sheet at home if I think about it this evening.

*Wit's use unmalted wheat anyway, so you could say you're being more authentic by NOT malting the grains.

Enjoy your first batch, cheers to good beer!
Thanks for the info! I already have some millet and buckwheat, but I haven't found any quinoa. (I looked at the local coop, they had quinoa flour but nothing 'whole' or 'husked' or such.) Any suggestions on substitution?

I'll have to look around for the instructions on roasting the grains as well, I think I saw them around here someplace...

Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I already have some millet and buckwheat, but I haven't found any quinoa. (I looked at the local coop, they had quinoa flour but nothing 'whole' or 'husked' or such.) Any suggestions on substitution?

I'll have to look around for the instructions on roasting the grains as well, I think I saw them around here someplace...
Try costco...as weird as it seems...

Old 03-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #18
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
Krausen isn't something I'd experiment with just yet. Once you've brewed a batch and know what your typical levels are, then plan for less. However, while most GF beers have a bit less krausen you don't want to find out the batch you put in a small container was the exception.

Because if you do you might get a stuck airlock, which then pressurizes the bottle while you're at work and then it explodes all over your closet, your clothes, the ceiling, the floor, the furniture in a nearby room, your computer, the walls... Not that that's happened to me, I would never do something dumb like stick an airlock on a Double IPA.
I guess my question is simply, how large of a batch can I safely ferment in a 5 gallon carboy? If I can safely ferment a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon container, can I do 4 gallons in a 5 gallon container, or is that too much?

Old 03-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #19
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
I guess my question is simply, how large of a batch can I safely ferment in a 5 gallon carboy? If I can safely ferment a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon container, can I do 4 gallons in a 5 gallon container, or is that too much?
Should be good with 4gal. I ferment 5gal in a corny keg without much trouble. Not on my big beers though.

Coincidently, 4-4.5gal is also the largest you can do on a stove or with a 2000w water heater element full boil.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #20
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Try costco...as weird as it seems...
Unfortunately, there's not one of those (or a whole foods) within a hundred miles of here.

I checked the various grocery stores (woodmans, festival, didn't bother checking walmart) and the coop. The other choices are basically to order it, I think Bob's Red Mill lists it, but there' I'm looking at 10 bucks for a 1.5 lb bag, plus shipping...ouch.

If only I could reverse mill the quinoa flour back into grain

Quick Reply