Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Pumpkin Spice Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
thanantos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just looked at you sig and noticed the apple/berry cider. I will be transferring my apple graff today into a keg for the first time and I plan to backsweeten with apple/blueberry concentrate. It is on 2.5lbs of blueberries in secondary right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Excellent!

I'm afraid I wasn't as authentic as you, I fermented organic apple cider (super cloudy) all the way to 1.000 and then back sweetened with frozen apple juice concentrate and some frozen mixed berry concentrate. My next cider will be with fresh fruit though.

Let me know how much berry flavour you got from that secondary, I'm interested to see how much the yeast leaves behind.

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #23
thanantos
Recipes 

Just racked it into the keg. Save your money. I got a lot of nice color, but about 0 flavor. I plan to backsweeten with some Old Orchard blueberry pomegranate concentrate. The ingredients say there is apple concentrate in it too.

I'll save myself the trouble and just make cider out of that concentrate next time.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #24
thanantos
Recipes 

Here's a link to an update with pics:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/gra...ml#post4463232

Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #25
Safa
Recipes 

Hey quick question!

Guy at LHBS seems to think that putting the pumpkin into the boil will result in bad things (something about congealing and other stuff, didn't really understand) Have you experienced this?

Personally, if no one responds before I brew (In the next hour) I'm following Thanantos' instructions, because a) not all LHBS owners know everything and b) thanantos has actually brewed and enjoyed this beer, so I trust his results.

I couldn't find BRS anywhere here (Athens, GA) so unfortunately I'm going with 7lbs of sorghum syrup, and I'm throwing in some BRS crystals (which I will rehydrate separately first). I'm also going to steep some gluten free oats before the boil to give some body to the beer since I couldn't get maltodextrin either.

About to start caramelising the honey and the pumpkin / roasting the oats, so will check back for replies in a little bit!

Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #26
thanantos
Recipes 

I didn't have any problems at all, AND I based my recipe on Lcasanova's. He did the same thing and also had good results. In fact, I was shocked at how clear the beer got in secondary. There is a TON of suspended material in the boil, but it all falls out between primary and secondary.

Actually your use of sorghum syrup and specialty grains may be closer to his original recipe than mine.

P.S. A word of caution! Use the biggest stock pot you have (maybe your brew pot?) to carmelize the pumpkin. It splatters something terrible!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #27
Safa
Recipes 

Thanks, I read your earlier post and used my brew pot for the caramelising!

Might have bought crap honey, I couldn't get a nut flavour out of it at all. I let it simmer for probably 6 minutes and it didn't even darken appreciably. It might be my nose, so I'm going ahead with it, I think under caramleised honey is better than burnt.

Oats are steeping now, everything smells great! Honey + roasted oats + cooking pumpkin = yum.

Thanantos, if you dont mind me asking, what are your caramelising procedures for the pumpkin and the honey?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:46 AM   #28
thanantos
Recipes 

Don't mind at all.

I usually add a can of water (32oz) to the puree and pie filling then take about 30 minutes to reduce that all down to a thick oatmeal consistency. Pay attention for the smell to change to a thicker sugary smell. It's subtle, but observable.

The honey I've been playing with. I went really slow the first couple batches I used it in. 2 and 3 minutes each IRC. I never got much carmelization. The last batch I did I let it boil for 20 minutes and that was when I got the real nutty flavors.

Even if you don't get that nutty, caramelized flavor the beer will still be better off for the honey.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #29
thanantos
Recipes 

I thought I had included the link but can't find it now. Anyway, adding a couple tablespoons of water and a few drops of lemon juice to the honey before it boils is supposed to help prevent crystallization and scorching. Plus stirring the whole time it is simmering then stop stirring once a full boil starts.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #30
Safa
Recipes 

Thanks, thats pretty much what I did but didn't let the honey boil, next time!

So the brew went pretty well. Man, it smelled amazing going into the primary. I didnt have time to cool it all the way, so I dropped the temp to about 110 and then threw it into my bucket. I sanitized the **** out of it, threw the lid on, purged with co2 (why not?) and put on an airlock filled to the brim with starsan solution.

As it has cooled down its been sucking in the starsan, but thats much better than just sucking in plain old air I figured. I'll be pitching the yeast when I get home tonight.

This is what my 2lbs honey looked like going in, see how dark it is? Kroger value brand is a funky colour!

img_0580.jpg

Caramelising pumpkin, smelled great when it was done and the colour got deeper. I used two 29oz cans of puree pumpkin from kroger. Couldn't find fresh sweet pumpkin or pumpkin pie filling.

img_0581.jpg

Toasting the 1lb oats. Crushed with a beer bottle and then roasted to a little past golden brown. Smells kind of like popcorn.

img_0582.jpg

This is my kettle with 3.5lbs Sorghum syurup + disolved 1lb rice syrup solids + hops.

img_0593.jpg

Now with the added pumpkin. Colour just gets delicious.

img_0594.jpg

Instead of pumpkin pie spice, I just mixed up some ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon ( I think the pie spice has that + clove in it) and threw that in @10

Quick Reply