Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF partial mash rootbeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
KevinM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's what I was wondering. Molasses for sure, since you need the flavor components and unlike full fermentation you're really going for Molasses's sweetness. The candi syrup would be more for color. The degrees of darkness of "caramel coloring" was what was throwing me.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Here is the from scratch recipe i was looking at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asabassa1120
Hi All- This is my first post on the site, although I've kept an eye on these forums for a while. I thought I'd just say hello and post the recipe I've been using.

I've scoured the internet forever, read a ton of books and have asked a ton of people who've made read beer, but I never found a recipe I thought looked that great. One day I stumbled across Swagger Rootbeer. John, a truly fantastic home-brewer has a great site and since his recipe seemed like something I would enjoy I made it.

Even though I made his, I also wanted to tweak it a bit so it would be more my own. Here is what I ended up with (2 Gallon Recipe):

• 10 TBS DRIED SASSAFRAS ROOT BARK
• 4 TBS CHOPPED DRIED BURDOCK ROOT
• 4 TSP CHOPPED DRIED LICORICE ROOT
• 4 TBS DRIED WINTERGREEN LEAF
• 4 TSP CHOPPED DRIED DANDELION ROOT
• 2 CINNAMON STICK
• 2 TSP FRESH GINGER
• 4 CUPS SUGAR
• 2 TBS HONEY (ALL NATURAL, ORGANIC, SHOULDN'T COME IN A JAR SHAPED LIKE A BEAR)
• 4 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
• 1/4 TSP MALTODEXTRIN
• 1/4 TSP ALE YEAST
• 2 GAL WATER (I used bottled)

1. Place first 7 ingredients in 1 gallon of water and simmer for 45 minutes. Within the last 15 minutes I added in Maltodextrin. (Wasn't quite sure at first when to do this, but it seemed to work well)
2. Remote from heat and cool for 30 minutes.
3. Rehydrate yeast in 1/4 cup boiled/cooled water for 15 minutes.
4. Strain Wort. I do this twice, once using a fine mesh strainer and another using unbleached coffee filters
5. Add Sugar, Honey and Vanilla and stir well.
6. Add remaining water, stir well.
7. Mix in yeast, stir well.
8. Bottle- I used PET bottles 500ml size. In a few days (when bottle is as hard as soda you would get in the store, put in the refrigerator).

I really, really liked the way this root beer came out. It still has a similar flavor to Swagger Root Beer, but I was trying to find a way to get that "bite" that makes root beer so good to me. The fresh ginger gives it a slight kick. I think the next time I make it I'll double the ginger, but I don't want to overpower the other flavors.

It took me a long time to find a recipe I was willing to try to make (thanks again to Swagger!). I hope anyone here who wants to make Root Beer from scratch gives both of our recipes a shot.

Have fun brewing!

Old 07-31-2012, 11:43 PM   #13
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ok, tried the extract recipe in a 2.5gal batch, brewed on sunday... Used 4oz of cane sugar and 2tsp of nottingham dry yeast for carbbing, went to the cooler today... I will probably crack one tonight after softball to see how it turned out... I will try to post a review and pic later...

Old 08-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

bad... Thats all there is too it... good carbonation, but the flavor is not enough rootbeer and not enough sweet... the sweet was not so bad, but it tasted like club soda with a rootbeer barrel candy floating in it...

Next time I am going to try a little high quality soda extract and maybe a touch more than they call for... also maybe a touch of extra dextrose...

Old 08-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #15
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Double the ingredients but keep the water amount the same?

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 AM   #16
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Def. Needed more sugar... The color from the extract was super dark... I think you might be onto something kevin, do a 2.5gal batch with the 5gal qtys... Like i said, will have to do something...

Quick Reply