LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Riddei
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default GF Orange

So, I'll be attempting my first GF brew (SWMBO has the celiacs and misses beer) and she picked out LCassanova's converted DFH recipe. After much research, deliberation and a beer, I thought about making some changes. I was hoping to get some feedback from some more experienced brewers (This will be my 5th or 6th batch)

6 lbs Sorghum Syrup (60 min)
.50 oz Hallertauer, pellet 3.8% (60 min)
.50 oz Tettnang, pellet 4.7% (20 min)
.50 oz Tettnang, pellet 4.7% (10 min)
1 tsp yeast nutrient (20 min)
4 Blood Oranges
1 lb corn sugar (60 min)
1 pkg SafBrew Wheat (WB-06)

I'll be going with above recipe, but I'll swap out Blood Oranges for navels and might add 1. (I have a fridge drawer full) I was going to add the zest from at least one of the oranges either at the last hop addition or flame out.
I was also thinking of steeping the orange pieces and adding thesolution to the fermenter, but freezing the solids and adding (after thawed of course) to the primary after 4 days in a boiled/sanitized nylon mesh bag and then keep in the primary for 7 days thereafter, racking to secondary to clear up for a week, then bottling and letting set in my closet for about 4-6 weeks (it stays 68-70)
I was thinking additions of coriander or/and cloves, but how much and at what point is beyond my pay grade. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Hoowee! Lots of stuff going into this one!

1. Oranges: Sounds fine, and should make up nicely for the lighter flavor vs blood oranges. Adding 2 might be good.

2. Orange Peels: Probably unnecessary, but if you desired you could dry hop with them. I would use a lighter amount than 6 oranges though, maybe one?

3. Coriander/Cloves: Adding spices to a beer is easy, because it actually adds the exact flavor to the beer! Now, coriander matching with orange flavor is a stretch for me. I wouldn't want to add Coriander to orange juice for example. Cloves are closer, but probably pair better with Apple juice, still could be good though.

Anyway, hope this helps some.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
spaced
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What you want to do Riddei, is pretty much what I did here. Has been the biggest hit so far.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/cas...dified-224858/

If you want more orange flavour, I'd recommend another 8 skins heated up to kill off any bugs and put into the secondary with the brew.

My gluten free home brewing blog.
http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/

Drinking: Hopped Honey IPA
Fermenting: 2 Ciders with S-33 Yeast, Summer Pale Ale and a West Coast IPA
Planning: Belgian Triple, Blood Orange Wit and American IPA

All gluten free.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
andrewdell19
Recipes 

I brewed this one on 3/20/11 and i am letting it lager in the fridge for a month before kegging it. SHould be ready to keg with I get back from Mexico!!

Old 05-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Riddei
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I brewed this 5/8/11 and last night 5/12, I dumped in my fruit. OG was 1.057 and it was 1.017. My closet this morning smells faintly of oranges, I love it.
Question though, is it normal with sorghum to have next to nothing for a hot break? I have a 6g pot and had 5 gal boiling and worried for nothing about a boil over

Old 05-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddei View Post
Well I brewed this 5/8/11 and last night 5/12, I dumped in my fruit. OG was 1.057 and it was 1.017. My closet this morning smells faintly of oranges, I love it.
Question though, is it normal with sorghum to have next to nothing for a hot break? I have a 6g pot and had 5 gal boiling and worried for nothing about a boil over
Gluten is a chief component in foam. Head retention and boilovers are mostly gone without it.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Riddei
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BTW DK I like the Coffee Stout recipe you have there. I am going to try and convince my wife to give a darker beer an chance.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddei View Post
BTW DK I like the Coffee Stout recipe you have there. I am going to try and convince my wife to give a darker beer an chance.
It came out pretty funky, but I have since become a coffee drinker. I am now convinced that I used too dark a roast. Using something more medium rather than uber-dark would probably come out much better.

When you're ready, let me know and we can discuss further.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
Riddei
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So this is what it looks like in the secondary. That bag floating in the primary had 5 large oranges.
OG was 1.054. I added the oranges at 1.015 and today when I racked to secondary to clear some of the bits the reading was at 1.002. Apparently I had some hungry yeast.
About how much could I expect the oranges to contribute to the gravity? I didn't bother taking a reading since the sugars weren't actually in solution. Would adding .010 be appropriate?

image-2658655331.jpg   image-1378960197.jpg  

Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Riddei
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

oh and the foam on top is star san. The BB was upside down for about an hour draining, and I still had that much foam. I've heard of people racking onto to more foam than that, but that is an uneasy feeling.
Also that weight of the oranges going is was roughly 4lbs.

Quick Reply