Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF "Mounds Bar" Mild

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #11
mojo_wire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't trust those "gluten reduced" things -- my wife didn't have side effects before she found out she was celiac. Just because people don't feel effects post-consumption of small amounts doesn't mean the intestinal damage doesn't ocurr. My wife is a physician and checks her own levels regularly. There is a correlation between antibody levels and how "careful" she has been recently. The gluten reduced stuff or a little soy sauce here and there doesnt make her sick but does cause a chemistry change. FWIW the antibody increase isn't that large, her levels tend to go from "high side of normal" to "slightly elevated" if she has some stuff she shouldn't.

I think coconut extract is the way to go. All the flavor, none of the fats.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #12
QuercusMax
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think fermentation is just about done. I checked the gravity and it appears to be around 1.013, resulting in ~3%ABV.

It tastes pretty similar to what I was shooting for, so I'm pretty happy there. There's a slightly harsher burnt flavor from the chocolate malt, but I think that will mellow out with a little more time. Not getting much coconut, though. They sell "coconut rum flavor essence" at my LHBS - do you think that would be good? Or should I just get coconut extract from the grocery store?

My wife bought a 4-pack of the New Planet 3R Raspberry GF Beer, and seems to enjoy it quite a bit. I think my next GF beer will probably be a raspberry pale ale.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
QuercusMax
Recipes 

I bottled this last night, and gave my wife a sample while I was racking into the bottling bucket. She tried it and said it was good, but needed carbonation. Then asked if it was gluten free. I'd say that's pretty successful. Probably means I'm going to need to brew more of it.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
QuercusMax
Recipes 

Tried the first bottle (way early, I know, but I didn't use much priming sugar since this style gets low carbonation) tonight. Here's a picture side-by-side with the original:

It generally needs more of everything- body, sweetness, head, color. I think improving my crush and doing a second decoction will help. It has a slight sour finish, but it's quite good. By itself I wouldn't complain, but compared with the barley version it is clearly inferior. The coconut isn't even detectable at all.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #15
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Tagging, this is the first time I've seen a GF recipe succeed with no additional enzymes or sorghum

Neat that you can pull this off using a decoction and just millet, really...

Old 02-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #16
QuercusMax
Recipes 

It is malted millet, but yeah. And my crush really sucked, as you can see from my pictures above. The guy from Colorado Malting told me I should use amylase, but I decided to try without it, and I may continue unless I'm using adjuncts.

Quick Reply