Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Honey Kolsch/Pale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
argentcorvid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the flavor was all sorghum. There is NO honey flavor left. I expected this from pre-brewday research, but figured there was nothing to be lost by trying, since I had a costco-sized container that was crystallizing in my pantry.

I've sampled a couple of bottles over the last few weeks and It's actually pretty good now. It bubbles like a champagne though. Of course, I can't find my notes from this particular brew, so I don't remember how much honey I used to carbonate with. This was the main complaint Dad had when we sampled a bottle in September. Apparently he prefers a less-carbonated beverage, which is a good thing to know.

The last couple of bottles have had pretty good head retention, so I'm not sure what went on there (something in the glass or bottle?). The bottles are pretty clear now, and after pouring, it's not quite clear enough to read through, though some of that might be the bubbles or chill haze.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by argentcorvid View Post
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the flavor was all sorghum. There is NO honey flavor left. I expected this from pre-brewday research, but figured there was nothing to be lost by trying, since I had a costco-sized container that was crystallizing in my pantry.

I've sampled a couple of bottles over the last few weeks and It's actually pretty good now. It bubbles like a champagne though. Of course, I can't find my notes from this particular brew, so I don't remember how much honey I used to carbonate with. This was the main complaint Dad had when we sampled a bottle in September. Apparently he prefers a less-carbonated beverage, which is a good thing to know.

The last couple of bottles have had pretty good head retention, so I'm not sure what went on there (something in the glass or bottle?). The bottles are pretty clear now, and after pouring, it's not quite clear enough to read through, though some of that might be the bubbles or chill haze.
Have you ever tried to cold crash any of your GF brews to clear them?

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 12-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #13
argentcorvid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I actually tried using gelatin and cold crashing with this batch as I did this in the mr beer keg and could fit it in the fridge. It didn't seem to make a difference at all at the time scale I was trying (days). 9 months after brewday it's pretty clear though.

Quick Reply