The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Fat Tire Clone Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
mtbskier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

How so you get the harvester beer shipped? I'm on the east coast and would love to try their beer just have had no luck when trying to call/contact the brewery....is their ipa worth the cost? I guess that's all relative

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, it's the De-Glutenised crap. I don't drink it. Figure if I am going to still drink a beer that has some gluten in it, I will just have normal beer. But that is only really when I am in the pub, and it about £2 a pint. other times its homebrew beer, wine, cider and mead. It's strange that 'normal' beer doesn't effect me (Not that I can physically see, anyway) yet probably due to the chemicals in De-Glutenised, it gives me a whopping head ache after 1 or two and a dodgy stomach. I looked at the Greens website the other day, and the ingredients just said De-Glutenised Barley. But then on another screen it said something about sorghum being used.

But I still find it wrong that they charge you that much, even if it is for multiple grain. I don't pay that much more for my grains than what another person would pay for wheat or barley.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #23
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbskier View Post
How so you get the harvester beer shipped? I'm on the east coast and would love to try their beer just have had no luck when trying to call/contact the brewery....is their ipa worth the cost? I guess that's all relative
I go through letspour.com; they only ship to some states (usually those with lax liquor laws), but it's the only way to get Harvester short of driving to Oregon. However, I recently heard from them that they're trying to figure out a way to do direct-from-brewery shipments; I'd recommend following them on facebook if you're not already. Their IPA is, hands down, the best gluten-free beer on the commercial market. It's totally not a traditional NW IPA; it's heavy on the Meridian hops (as is their pale ale), which is a very unusual new hop with a velvety floral thing happening, rather than the usual pine/citrus one expects in a NW IPA.

I was very unimpressed--disgusted, eve--with their dark ale, and found their pale and red ales pretty lacking, but the raspberry was pretty good (not sure if they're still making it). The fresh hop pale ale (which was a limited release) was much better than the usual pale; I just placed another order of 3 IPAs, a red, a dark, and a pale, as I want to give them a second chance. I wish I could get my hands on their squash ales, or any of their experimental batches (dark ale made with carob, dark ale made with coffee, IPA made with great northern beans instead of oats). I must say, I think the first time I tried them, my expectations got in the way; they do not taste like regular beer or anything like my homebrew. I'll be posting a "second look: Harvester" article on my blog once I've gotten a chance to drink them all a second time.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Mathew View Post
Yeah, it's the De-Glutenised crap. I don't drink it. Figure if I am going to still drink a beer that has some gluten in it, I will just have normal beer. But that is only really when I am in the pub, and it about £2 a pint. other times its homebrew beer, wine, cider and mead. It's strange that 'normal' beer doesn't effect me (Not that I can physically see, anyway) yet probably due to the chemicals in De-Glutenised, it gives me a whopping head ache after 1 or two and a dodgy stomach. I looked at the Greens website the other day, and the ingredients just said De-Glutenised Barley. But then on another screen it said something about sorghum being used.

But I still find it wrong that they charge you that much, even if it is for multiple grain. I don't pay that much more for my grains than what another person would pay for wheat or barley.
Hmmm, checking their site the PDF for their North American products says the beer is brewed with sorghum, millet, buckwheat and rice.

I'm headed out to a bar tonight that has Endeavor and Quest available. I'm going to give them a try.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #25
WackyBrew
Recipes 

I hear the fat tire ale clone is one of the hardest, after making they want you to store like a wine bottle. anyways: I have buddies that came down from Colorado and I made a Fat Tire Clone but made it with 120L and they were more impressed with my brew than the fat tire alone. i enjoy the fat tire and when i can drive up to Georgia I pick some up: here is what I did with my recipe and It Rocked:

Extract not all grain: back than i had no confident in All Grain

2 lb 2-Row Malt
1 lb Belgian Special B Malt
8 oz Crystal 120L
8 oz munich malt
4.5lb Amber Malt Extract
1 oz Northern Brewer Hops
2 oz Saaz Hops

Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #26
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Glad you had a success, mate--now, if you can figure out how to replicate it without using any form of wheat, barley, or rye, do come back and share it with us! This is the gluten-free forum.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #27
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would say maybe this?

Dark Belgian syrup to replace Special B
Buckwheat Crystal
Malted and roasted millet
Golden Syrup/Amber Candi Syrup/Sorghum to replace Amber Malt
Hop Schedule the same

Maybe some flaked millet just for the hell of it? The protein in it may help the head... Just a thought though...

Old 02-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #28
WackyBrew
Recipes 

I hear ya 10-4 gonna have to figure this out: Id love to share success with all grain on this subject. this clone I am telling you is a very difficult find but must be conquered

Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #29
gnubierguy
Recipes 

Rebel Brewer sells an ingredient kit that I think does a good job of imitating Fat Tire. The kit is called the Fat Belgian. I have brewed it twice and enjoyed the outcome both times. JT

Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #30
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I work about five minutes from rebel brewer and I will double check but I don't believe that is a gf kit. Hope I'm wrong though. Good guys.

Quick Reply