Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Fat Tire Clone Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #11
basicwhitesauce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainepolo12
I am brewing this as we speak, and made a few adjustments to the recipe. I left out the steeped grains bc I isn't think they contributed to what I was looking for In The clone. Final recipe is

2.75# soybean honey
2# brs
3.3# sorghum @ 10

.5 styrian goldings @ 60
.5 Willamette leaf @ 60
.5 styrian @ 30
.25 Willamette @ 15
.25 Willamette @ 5
Dry hop 1 Columbus

Nutrient and Irish moss @ 10

Pitched us-05

Very excited about this one

Recipe and notes are at hopville. Search for la gallega amber
Is this the final recipe? I'm very interested in brewing a GF beer for a good friend. He has celiac disease and has not had a beer in 6 years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

His one didn't turn out well, so I would point you to some other recipes. RLBois' Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale is a popular one, as well as the IPA's by Spaced or Igliashon. Check those out for some ideas that have good reviews.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #13
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I have a friend that told me she pays 7usd for a 6 pack of GF Beer and though that was out of the world. I didn't tell her about the time I bought a 4 pack of 120DF. LOL

I told her that I would look into making her some beer, so this might be it.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #14
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

$7 US for a 6-pack? Where is she getting that incredible deal? Out here in the SF Bay Area, a 4-pack of New Planet goes for $9...I guess a sixer of Redbridge might be found for $8 if you're lucky, but for $7 all you can get is a pint bottle of Green's...and it's plenty worth it, because Green's is the only commercial GF beer out here worth drinking. I occasionally pay $54 to get six 22's of Harvester's IPA shipped down here, which is $9 per 22-oz bottle (shipping is free, blessedly), because it's cheaper than driving 9 hours to Portland to buy the stuff in person.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
$7 US for a 6-pack? Where is she getting that incredible deal? Out here in the SF Bay Area, a 4-pack of New Planet goes for $9...I guess a sixer of Redbridge might be found for $8 if you're lucky, but for $7 all you can get is a pint bottle of Green's...and it's plenty worth it, because Green's is the only commercial GF beer out here worth drinking. I occasionally pay $54 to get six 22's of Harvester's IPA shipped down here, which is $9 per 22-oz bottle (shipping is free, blessedly), because it's cheaper than driving 9 hours to Portland to buy the stuff in person.
My local party store just started carrying 4 packs of New Planet for $12. Red Bridge is $8 out the door.

Every beer I've made......better than either of them.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Jesus. You are paying $7 per bottle of Greens beer? That's about £4.50 a bottle. That's astronomical. The cost in my local supermarket for a bottle of Greens is £1.90! I understand there is shipping costs etc, but £2.60 per bottle just for shipping? Crazy. And it will be shipped in bulk.or have I got it all wrong and you are talking about in packs of 4 or 6 or something?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #17
mtbskier
Recipes 

I can confirm that greens beer is 6-8 American dollars here in the states if you buy at a grocery store.

I have seen it in bars for 10-15.....yes it's ridiculous. You can see why Homebrew is the best option for gluten free...for both cost and quality concerns.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think I have just found my new business venture. Importing Greens beer to America. Haha I thought it would at least be in a 4 or a 6 pack, but for one bottle? They sure saw you guys coming. Haha Dura or however you spell it, is about £6.50/£7 but that is at least for 4 bottles over here. I refuse to even buy that as I think it tastes rancid. Costs me between £7-£10 to make three Imperial Gallons, maybe not even that. Thats about $11-$15.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Is the Green's you get on your side of the pond the de-glutenized stuff, or the multi-grain gluten-free stuff (Endeavor, Quest, Discovery, etc.)? On their website they make it look like in the UK they only sell de-glutenized barley beers, while in North America they only sell multi-grain gluten-free beers. I imagine there'd probably be a significant price difference for a beer made with malted sorghum, malted buckwheat, malted quinoa, and malted millet, vs. a beer made with malted barley and treated with clarity-ferm. And yes, I know for a fact that Green's uses malted gluten-free grains in their export beers; I had a brief e-mail exchange with one of their brewers, where he explained that they use malted grains but occasionally have to add enzymes to get reliable conversion.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #20
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Also, $7 for a pint of Green's isn't so bad, considering it's the only decent gluten-free beer available nation-wide, and Harvester (which does occasionally make some very tasty beer, I've recently discovered) costs me $9 per 22 oz bottle to get shipped to California. Considering that most gluten-free grains are about 3x more expensive than malted barley (and chestnuts roughly 5x more expensive), it would make sense that real GF beers would be more expensive...but New Planet, Red Bridge, and New Grist piss me off with their inflated prices...they're friggin' EXTRACT beers that any homebrewer could replicate EXACTLY for less than 1/4 of the cost.

Quick Reply