The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF English Pale Ale (First time brewer)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

In any case, I've pretty much found that the hydrometer samples are a pretty good indicator of how it's gonna taste. If the hydrometer samples are nasty, there's not much hope, unless you're up for a really long aging (in which case, there still may not be any hope, depending on how nasty it really is). Lotsa people say never dump your batches, but this is the gluten-free forum, and sometimes we make just really bad beer. It's okay to dump if it really, really sucks (IMO).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

FWIW, I have a 7.5 gallon pot, did a 5 gallon boil, and used a wort chiller (yes, I ignored the "do a partial boil" portion of the instructions). Other than that, I followed instructions with the kit and used "best practices" from this site and other resources. Maybe I'm just being a overly critical with the taste test.

I have been reading your perspective and experiences with the partial sorghum at boil and partial at flame out helping with the sorghum twang, and am playing around with different quntities/timings on BrewTarget as extract timing does seem to affect overall bitterness. I am already looking forward to brewing a second batch, but having this first batch be at least drinkable is important to me. Thanks again for your help (and patience).

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...

Old 05-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbois1 View Post
FWIW, I have a 7.5 gallon pot, did a 5 gallon boil, and used a wort chiller (yes, I ignored the "do a partial boil" portion of the instructions). Other than that, I followed instructions with the kit and used "best practices" from this site and other resources. Maybe I'm just being a overly critical with the taste test.
Oh, well then! You should be fine. Well, what kind of water did you use? Tap? Filtered tap? Bottled/spring? I have a feeling mineral content of water may have some effect on the sorghum twang, which (IIRC) is due to the relatively-high iron and mineral content of sorghum extract. I usually use spring, but I'm switching to reverse-osmosis because it's cheaper, and will eventually switch to in-home filtration.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
Well, what kind of water did you use? Tap? Filtered tap? Bottled/spring?
I used 2 gallons tap water (well water, pretty hard) and 3 gallons of bottled water (Polar purified drinking water from BJs Wholesale, do they have those in the west coast?). In hind sight it was probably a bad call on using the well water. From here on out I intend to use the bottled water only with a little gypsum; good call?

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)

Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #15
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Yeah, it could be the well water, but I really couldn't say for sure. Try another batch without and see how it goes. A little gypsum would probably be just the ticket for hoppy British styles; I've never tried it, but I've got a bunch of US Goldings and some Phoenix hops beckoning me to make an English IPA, and I reckon on adding some gypsum to that and see how it goes. Will probably brew that one in two weeks; I'm looking to make every Thursday a brew day for the next couple of months (the beauty of doing small batches and having 4 fermenters!). I'm planning to rotate between a stout, a light summery herb/spice thing, and an IPA, to progressively hone each one until I'm satisfied...and then I'll start attacking the BIG styles!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
I'm looking to make every Thursday a brew day for the next couple of months (the beauty of doing small batches and having 4 fermenters!)
Brew day every Thursday; that sounds like fun. Speaking of fun, just for fun I threw an ounce of Liberty hops into the secondary yesterday...

Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #17
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just sampled my first batch of homebrew... success! It tastes like beer, like pretty good beer actually. Two weeks in the primary, one week in the secondary, and two weeks of bottle (pig actually) conditioning, and it's already the best GF beer I've ever had. Can't wait to taste the "Lucky 13" (13 hop editions) Imperial IPA I brewed today... yum.

Quick Reply