Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF English Pale Ale (First time brewer)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default GF English Pale Ale (First time brewer)

I recently discovered that I am very sensitive to gluten. I am glad not to be sick anymore but I am not impressed with the selection of GF beers available in my area (I WANT MY IPA; GIVE ME HOPS), so I decided to take matters into my own hands. Bought some equipment and brewed my first batch this past Friday. It is a kit (and not an IPA), but I figure that I've got to start somewhere. The brew is currently in the fermenter bubbling away. Hope it doesn't suck...

5 Gallon Recipe:
6.6 pounds BriesSweet Sorghum Extract
1 pound Amber Belgium Candi Syrup (@15 min)
1 ounce UK Kent Goldings hop pellets (@ 60 min)
1 ounce UK Challenger hop pellets (@ 5min)
Nottingham Ale yeast
5oz. Priming Sugar

Rick
<><

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Tex60
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I haven't been doin this for long either, but I have learned some things that might be of help to you. First as you read here sorghum crates a "twang" flavor so be prepared but with my first batch of GF beer which was for my daughter (she is the gluten sensative person in the family) when I tasted it after 3 weeks that flavor is there but it was 2 months before I could get the beer to her and it was still there but not as bad. So the longer you can let it condition in the bottle the better. Second GF beers tend to be cloudy so so you will want to get some war flock tabs to help with clearing it some - to late for this batch but be ready for your next.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I think the recipe looks spot-on. The "twang" of sorghum comes from the fact that sorghum is extremely iron-rich, and it can actually go well in some styles, especially (IMO) British styles. A gluten-free Guinness clone might actually be easier than it sounds, because of the metallic "bite" that Guinness tends to have. The candi syrup is a great addition, I've found. Really rounds out the sorghum and adds some caramel notes. It's good that you're starting simple, because when I started I tried going hog-wild and brewed at least four batches of terrible beer. Let us know how it comes out!

Also FWIW, my beers have all come out exceptionally clear, with the exception being my 2nd porter attempt (though it's only been bottle-conditioning for a week at this point). Even the ones with a ton of adjunct grains that end up with 2" of trub in the primary! And I don't use whirlflock or anything, sometimes a touch of irish moss in the boil but not always.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you both for the feedback. I've tasted the sorghum twang in the store bought GF beer I've tried. My ultimate goal is to brew a super hoppy GF IPA with ~8% ABV; but first baby steps.

My freshman effort been 3 days now in the fermentation bucket, and the bubbles from the airlock are slowing. I am planning on waiting until Saturday to bottle (PartyPig, actually...).That will have been 8 days in the fermentation bucket; enough time to clear? Should I wait longer? I've got about 8oz in a "satelite fermenter" (so I can check gravity without opening the pail), and it is pretty cloudy.

Rick
<><

Old 04-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbois1 View Post
That will have been 8 days in the fermentation bucket; enough time to clear? Should I wait longer?
<><
You're planning on bottling after 8 DAYS? SLOOOOOW DOOOOOOWN, homey. The general rule of thumb is 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 in bottles at 68°F (though I usually do 2-1-3, or just a 3-week primary and then bottle). If you bottle after one week, you're going waaay too soon. There will be lots of sediment and it will be very cloudy indeed, and worse, your beer will be very immature and you'll just have to let it sit longer in bottles anyway before the taste settles down. I'd say at LEAST give it another week in primary, even if the gravity is stable. Lots of stuff continues to happen after target gravity has been reached, y'know. Patience is a virtue, perhaps more for the homebrewer than anyone else!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
I'd say at LEAST give it another week in primary, even if the gravity is stable. Lots of stuff continues to happen after target gravity has been reached, y'know. Patience is a virtue, perhaps more for the homebrewer than anyone else!
"A patient man has great understanding, but a quick tempered man displays folley." -Proverbs 14:29

Glad I asked. I will chill out. Don't have a secondary (yet), so three weeks?

Check out the "instructions" that came with the kit... They seemed a little weak to me, but I am a guy who's never brewed any beer... until now.

Rick
<><

Old 05-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
The general rule of thumb is 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 in bottles at 68°F (though I usually do 2-1-3, or just a 3-week primary and then bottle)...
Igliashon, took your advice to heart. After two weeks in the primary, I intend to rack to my secondary fermenter today (a 5 gallon bb carboy which is currently on a fedex truck out for delivery to my house along with some ingredients for my next batch). Did a gravity check this morning and the temp corrected reading was 1.012. Corrected OG was 1.050 which gives me a nice 5% ABV. Smells good too. Please keep up the dialogue on the GF "big" and hoppy beers...

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...

Old 05-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Good show, mate. Keep us updated! Did you taste your hydrometer sample?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Good show, mate. Keep us updated! Did you taste your hydrometer sample?
I did not taste the hydrometer sample, however, yesterday while racking to the secondary, I grabbed a sample and tasted it. Not sure what to say about the taste... except I hope it improves. I have zero experience tasting unfinished beer; it wasn't terrible, but did have a distinct and somewhat sharp, tinny, twangy, something or other taste to it. It will settle down, yes?

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...

Old 05-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I just read the directions that came with your kit--they had you do a partial boil. Doh! Yeah, I'm afraid you're not likely to see big improvement with time. My first three or four batches were partial boils (1.5 gallons for a 3 gallon batch), and there is a very specific and peculiar taste common to all partial-boil homebrew I've ever tasted (even non-GF ones). It does improve with (a lot of) time, but it never quite goes away. Switching to full-boils brought on an ENORMOUS improvement to the quality of my brews. If you don't have space for a 7.5-gallon kettle and a propane bayou burner, you could always just shrink your batch-size and do 3-gallon batches. That's what I do, since I live in an apartment and my stove is too weak to boil 5 gallons of water.

Also, adding the sorghum at the beginning of the boil is kind of a no-no; it's better to add maybe 50% at the beginning and 50% at the end, if you're using sorghum as the main source of fermentables. That seemed to help a lot for me, as well.

I'd say bottle it, and stick up the back of the cupboard, ignore it for a few months (if you can bear it) and then check in with it. I've got a few batches with which I'm doing exactly that (incidentally, they're my 3rd and 4th GF batches ever, the last of my partial boils).

Quick Reply