Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Dogfish Head 60 IPA Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
Looks good man, let us know how it comes out!
Brewed it up this afternoon, just before sampling my delicious GF English Pale Ale. The boil went exactly as per my prevous post; 13 hop editions, not "continuous" (ala Dogfish Head) but close. Corrected OG was right around 1.080. This will be a "big" GF beer... and hoppy. Like Tom says, the waiting is the hardest part...

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...
bluntsandbeers Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Lucky 13 GF Imperial IPA

Checked gravity on this batch this morning; it was at target of 1.016, making it 8.4%ABV! Racked it to the secondary and it was crystal clear (the irish moss I assume). Dry hopped it with .5oz Simcoe and 1.0oz Amarillo. It smells delicious... BrewTarget says bitterness should be ~108 IBU; I realize that's pretty bitter. With that level of bitterness and the fact the sorghum makes up only 57% of the fermentables, I am hoping that the "sorghum twang" will be greatly diminished.

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)

Old 08-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
tflew
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

any updates on how this turned out?

Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflew View Post
any updates on how this turned out?
How it turned out... It's been gone for a while now but let me try to sum it up. This was only my second ever batch of homebrew and the first batch was a kit, so I think I definitely bit off more than I could chew:

1) It did not taste like a Dogfish Head 60 min
2) While it was quite drinkable (particularly for a 8.4% ABV beer), I wish I had let it condition longer, much longer, maybe 3-6 months rather than 2-3 weeks...
3) Believe the hopping was just way over the top, but I'm not smart enough to know what to do differently with it other then simply back off on quantities...
4) The base was pretty good, but could have used something more to offset all those hops, maybe steep some GF grains, or use buckwheat honey vice "regular" honey... Again I don't (yet) know enough to say for sure.

Maybe I'm being overly critical, but I really want to get things right, and not being able to "instantly" brew up GF versions of my (old) favorite non-GF beers has been a little frustrating. I will brew another GF IIPA, and I will use this batch as a starting point but not an ending point.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #15
tflew
Recipes 

Thanks for the update. I'm in the same boat by jumping into gluten free brewing except it's for my dad not me. Did you think that splitting up the sorghum additions gave it less of that twang or was it hard to tell with all the hops?

Thanks

Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #16
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflew View Post
Thanks for the update. I'm in the same boat by jumping into gluten free brewing except it's for my dad not me. Did you think that splitting up the sorghum additions gave it less of that twang or was it hard to tell with all the hops?

Thanks
Hard to say. I will say that in terms of a GF IPA, the 5 Star IPA came out much better, and there were no late sorghum additions. Also, the Black Lodge Ale tastes very good (Guiness-ish), and for that batch I pretty much just dumped in everything at the start of the (45min) boil. I know some swear by a late sorghum addition but I'm not sold. But then again I've only brewed 6 batches of beer in my life...

Old 08-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
tflew
Recipes 

Sounds good i guess ill have to experiment with the varying sorghum addition times at some point. Ill add your 5 star ipa to my gf brew list...im planning a lager thats next up but the ipa will be soon.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #18
BuddyBrews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
I'd do 2 lbs of candi syrup and 5.6 lbs of sorghum syrup, but otherwise no changes. I use 1 lb of candi syrup in most of my 3-gallon batches, and it's always good, so I'd recommend scaling it up for a 5-gallon batch. If you can steep a few pounds of some wet-toasted millet or quinoa, you won't regret it!

Same hopping schedule?
Bringing this thread back. Any GF steeping grains the LHBS sells. Trying to find the best recipe for my batch of sorghum beer! Thanks

Lots and lots of beer!!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #19
BuddyBrews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbois1 View Post
Hard to say. I will say that in terms of a GF IPA, the 5 Star IPA came out much better, and there were no late sorghum additions. Also, the Black Lodge Ale tastes very good (Guiness-ish), and for that batch I pretty much just dumped in everything at the start of the (45min) boil. I know some swear by a late sorghum addition but I'm not sold. But then again I've only brewed 6 batches of beer in my life...
recipe for the 5 star IPA?

Lots and lots of beer!!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBrews View Post
recipe for the 5 star IPA?
Sorry for the slow response; 5 Star thread and recipe here.

Quick Reply