Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Brewing with Chestnuts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #31
mattinboston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeinwa View Post
I just went and out and got a bottle that I put up on 5/30/09. I used my dark roast chips with that. I have some 1" cordial glasses. It would have probably made 19-20 with the the scale using one of those, but its a little larger that the 1/2 dia. they reccomend. That's about as dark as I want to roast the chips without getting a burnt taste to them. The coffe substitute I make looks just like ground coffee. When you brew it, it looks as dark as coffee, which would probably be in the 25 range you are looking for. That's really a time comsumming roast process. It's roasted just about to the point of conbustabilty. It would be too costly to use as a color enhancer for beer. Burnt barley looks like really dark mouse turds but barley is out for GF.

One time I used some BIG coffee brewers and made a chestnut coffee to use instead of water for my wort liquid and added regular dark roast chip. I fermented that to 19.5% alcohol/19 % brix, and make a liqueur that has a nice full bodied taste with a nutty chocolate taste. One of my better creations. Deliciosos!

A chocolate concentrate with the cocoa butter removed might be the answer to your drakness. Many of the really dark brews I'v made had received the palate analysis of having a chocolate taste.

Hope this helps
Thanks Lee - that is helpful! The chips will be lighter than I expected in the end.

As an aside, I'll have to dig into my notes but I once saw a color darkening adjunct that I believe is gluten free and might work in this case. It was (is) rumored to be used by the Spoetzl brewery in Texas to make bock-like beer (that's not really in the bock style at all but is labeled as such). It's pretty refreshing though and I think they use the darkener to give it a darkish color and slight smokey flavor without adding any other characteristics to the beer. Anyway, if I can remember what it's called it might be perfect.....

Oh, and the chestnut liquor sounds terrific!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #32
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
A chocolate concentrate with the cocoa butter removed might be the answer to your drakness. Many of the really dark brews I'v made had received the palate analysis of having a chocolate taste.
This is the missing piece to my recipe! Any ideas on where to source this?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #33
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Can someone look over this?

http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/02/08/chestnut-brown/

I basically tried to surmise through what everyone has been saying what the yield and color of the chestnuts are, and then build a sort of English Brown recipe based off of what you guys have said it tasted like (chocolate, roasty).

Does it look good?
Does it look good? I assume your question was pretaining to color. Yeah! It looks great. Nice rich dark color with a roasted nutty chocolaty flavor with a slight lingering hint of citrus. [Cascades] To bad I don't drink any more but I do a lot of mouth wash and spitting. Even my wife likes it and she's not a beer drinker.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #34
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Does it look good? I assume your question was pretaining to color. Yeah! It looks great. Nice rich dark color with a roasted nutty chocolaty flavor with a slight lingering hint of citrus. [Cascades] To bad I don't drink any more but I do a lot of mouth wash and spitting. Even my wife likes it and she's not a beer drinker.
Had to run to a conference call...wrote that question without thinking.

What I meant was, does the color and ABV look accurate for what is in it?

Also, I would like to add some chocolate flavor, where do you suggest I could get the cocoa butter free chocolate concentrate?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #35
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Fat free cocoa? I used this in my double chocolate stout (porter)

Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #36
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Chestnut brew

Quote:

Also, I would like to add some chocolate flavor, where do you suggest I could get the cocoa butter free chocolate concentrate?

I make light, medium and dark chestnut ales only. The ABV is usually about 7 % and that is determined by the amount of corn sugar I add. Looks good to me. I'm not a master brewer by any means. I never brewed any beer from my collage days until I was 65. Back incollage it was in a plastic garbage can and it was scoped with a ladle and not bottled. The object back then was a good cheap drunk after tests. My whole objective of brewing in this era of my life was to show people it COULD be done with chestnuts. I give all my beer away to my beer snob friends.

I'm sure some brew or wine supply houses would have a chocolate extract minus the butter that they sell under the additive section. I'll check one of my sorces and if I find anything I'll get back to you.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #37
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 17

That's the cocoa I use in my double chocolate oatmeal stout as well. Great stuff that wondercocoa!

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #38
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Chocolate extract

Quote:

OK. Northern Brewer has pure cholcolate extract for flavoring beer.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #39
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Chocolate

Quote:

By the way, I ment to mention that if you use the dark roasted chips, you might like the taste so well that you won't have to use any other flavorings.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #40
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default cocoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
Fat free cocoa? I used this in my double chocolate stout (porter)

When due incooperate this into your brewing process? Availability? Where is good source?

Thans

Leeinwa

Quick Reply