Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Brewing with Chestnuts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 02:43 AM   #121
SexPanther13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I homebrew to save money! I'm in college! haha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #122
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexPanther13 View Post
Well I homebrew to save money! I'm in college! haha
I figured if you were in Manhatten your were either a rich professor or a broke student. I did the same thing 50 years. We made it in a used 30 gallon pickle barrel with "borrowed" ingredients from the livestock feed plant in animal science. Lots of grains and corn sugars and distillers yeast residues used for the B vitimans. Seldom bottled, Scaped away the scum on top and laddled in out into glasses. I think it ran 10-12 percent. Now that was cheap!

If that wasn't good enough we forge a lab request for a gal of 195 proof analytical ethanol. Dilute it 50/50 and add a few ounzes of glycerin to smooth it out.

leeinwa

Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #123
Gonoles10
Recipes 

Bet that beer was the best you ever had Lee! Update: my ipa has been chilling at 34 for over a week now. Been busy, kegging this weekend. Glad everyone is having success with their brews.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #124
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Jees, this brew is STILL bubbling away! I don't think I've had a brew ferment this long. Should I be worried about it being too dry?

I guess be careful what you wish for.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #125
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew View Post
Jees, this brew is STILL bubbling away! I don't think I've had a brew ferment this long. Should I be worried about it being too dry?

I guess be careful what you wish for.
Haha, well this is exactly what happened to mine and I ended up with 1.000 final gravity. It was extremely dry, so when I go to bottle it I am going to throw in some maltodextrin to try and make it drinkable. I think if I do this again I will use another fementable with it like sorghum or buckwheat to give it more body. I might also use a sugar that won't fully ferment. Who knows though, it sounds like everyone else is getting good chestnut only results.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #126
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Airlock has stopped bubbling! Took a gravity reading and it was at 1.006. The sample didn't taste too bad. I'll transfer it to a carboy tomorrow with gelatin. Should I get some maltodextrin for body?

Old 03-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #127
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would, I'm going throw some in mine today or tomorrow and then taste it before I throw in the corn sugar for bottling.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #128
Gonoles10
Recipes 

I kegged my IPA last night and force carbonated it. I just had the first pour...AWESOME! It is very clear, has a great color and tastes great. I will take a picture on the next pour and post it on here. Time to start planning my next brew...tough to beat this one though! Very happy with the results.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #129
Gonoles10
Recipes 

took some pictures, but I guess I'm too stupid to figure out how to post them. This beer looks (and tastes) so good, I wish I could show you guys. I'm on my thir one already. At this rate, my ten gallons will be gone by the end of the weekend!!! Just to resummarize, this is Northen Brewer's Tongue Spliiter recipe with all the grain re-placed by 20 pounds of chestnuts (1/2 medium, 1/2 light roast) and five pounds of honey. Scroll back to see the exact method and recipe. This beer is phenomenal.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #130
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonoles10 View Post
took some pictures, but I guess I'm too stupid to figure out how to post them. This beer looks (and tastes) so good, I wish I could show you guys. I'm on my thir one already. At this rate, my ten gallons will be gone by the end of the weekend!!! Just to resummarize, this is Northen Brewer's Tongue Spliiter recipe with all the grain re-placed by 20 pounds of chestnuts (1/2 medium, 1/2 light roast) and five pounds of honey. Scroll back to see the exact method and recipe. This beer is phenomenal.

I'm glad that some of you guys [and gals] are finding out the joys of GF chestnut beer. I've been working for 5 years trying to convince the world that they make a first class beer. I read recipes that people use for GF that contain multigrains, spices and herbs etc. and the fact is that with the roasted chestnuts and a little sugar you can make just about any style of beer you want. Congrats on you sucesses!!!

Skol

leeinwa

Quick Reply