Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Brewing with Chestnuts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #111
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexPanther13 View Post
Yeah I bottle carbonate, but I usually rack onto my priming sugar in my bottling bucket. It is kind of early to be bottling so next weekend it should be less cloudy. I might cold crash it for 48 hours before bottling to clear it up some more.
Sugar works either way. Just my old habit of doing it that way.

I usually add malto for the body.

Let me know how the cold crash works.

leeinwa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #112
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew View Post
Thanks SexPanther13 and Lee. I'll keep an eye on it for the next day or so and let you know.
Any yeast bubbles?

Leeinwa

Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 AM   #113
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

When I got home this afternoon there was still no activity in the airlock. I opened the fermenter to check for any krausen and ther was some! When I closed the lid the airlock bubbled over from the air releasing and then started to bubble. So I think I'm on my way.

I noticed the use of maltodextrin at bottling time, does this lend much to the final product? Also, I've never heard of head retainer. What is it.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 AM   #114
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
When I got home this afternoon there was still no activity in the airlock. I opened the fermenter to check for any krausen and ther was some! When I closed the lid the airlock bubbled over from the air releasing and then started to bubble. So I think I'm on my way.

I noticed the use of maltodextrin at bottling time, does this lend much to the final product? Also, I've never heard of head retainer. What is it.
Maltodextrin adds body to a beer, I really don't know about flavors. Lactose does the same thing but I thing it actually adds sweetness.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:26 AM   #115
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Good on yeast activity.

Malto-d is a non fermentable sugar that adds "body" to beer.

Heading powder is generally gum arabic, which is a common food additive. It adds viscosity to a product and in beer that viscosity helps the head stay longer. Glutens act much the same way, but since we brew GF we need a little help.

Of Note:

My wife uses a spot remover in her dish washer. These are surfactants that break down surface tension and doesn't allow the water to "bead" on the glasses and leave spots when they dry. They leave a residue on the glass and glasses washed with this will cause the head to loose it's head by breaking down the surface tension of the bubbles. With a strong movement to lower the phosphate levels in dishwasher detergents they might start adding these surfactants to the soap itself. Run your beer glasses through a soapless hot water cycle only to remove this residue.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #116
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So Lee, when do you add the head retainer? Do you do that when bottling?

Old 03-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #117
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexPanther13 View Post
So Lee, when do you add the head retainer? Do you do that when bottling?
I usually re-rack just before I bottle and I add it durning that step .

leeinwa

Old 03-09-2010, 03:55 AM   #118
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, I'll give that a try when I add the Maltodextrin.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #119
mattinboston
Recipes 

You guys have again been busy! Sorry been traveling.

SexPanther - definitely cold crash. It has worked wonderfully for me. I don't even have to use my 1-micron filter when I crash to 30-ish F for 48 hours.

Also just have to mention that the pectinase enzyme worked incredibly well. I have a double IPA right now that is crystal clear.

On the sweetness, I find my chestnut beers do have more sweetness than my barley-based beers of old. I actually think that a less citrus like hop works better with the chestnuts. I tried columbus actually with a nice result and I think chinook might work well. Cascade in my opinion is a bit too sweet with the chestnuts. This comes from my latest brew - my IIPA with cascades is done and is really good, but maybe a touch too sweet. It fermented for a month with no SP movement the last week and has over 8%, but still has a sweet taste... It fermented to just over 1... lower than I expected and lower than the category.

My first chestnut lager will be done in a week. I can't wait to see how that tastes! In the meantime I'm enjoying a cold chestnut cascade IIPA!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:07 AM   #120
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinboston View Post
You guys have again been busy! Sorry been traveling.

SexPanther - definitely cold crash. It has worked wonderfully for me. I don't even have to use my 1-micron filter when I crash to 30-ish F for 48 hours.

Also just have to mention that the pectinase enzyme worked incredibly well. I have a double IPA right now that is crystal clear.

On the sweetness, I find my chestnut beers do have more sweetness than my barley-based beers of old. I actually think that a less citrus like hop works better with the chestnuts. I tried columbus actually with a nice result and I think chinook might work well. Cascade in my opinion is a bit too sweet with the chestnuts. This comes from my latest brew - my IIPA with cascades is done and is really good, but maybe a touch too sweet. It fermented for a month with no SP movement the last week and has over 8%, but still has a sweet taste... It fermented to just over 1... lower than I expected and lower than the category.

My first chestnut lager will be done in a week. I can't wait to see how that tastes! In the meantime I'm enjoying a cold chestnut cascade IIPA!
Wondered if you were still around. Hadn't heard anything from you in awhile. Glad you're making progress. I started with Cascades and Cenntenials because I get them FREE from my nephew. Since I'm not a beer expert on taste, you guys will have to figure out what you like in taste.

Here awhile back some one said chestnuts were a little spendy. I don't think I've met anyone yet who home brews to save money. The main reason they brew is to get something they like and to get the ohs, aws and atta boys from their fellow brewers and freinds.

leeinwa

Quick Reply