Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Brewing with Chestnuts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #91
Gonoles10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well I used nothing but 20 pounds of chestnuts and 5 pounds of honey for a ten gallon IPA recipe almost a month ago. I took a different route then some others and tried to get most of my fermentables from the chestnuts, rather than adding other sugars. I did everyting you did with the chips, minus the pectinase. I did bring it back up to 150 for an hour before I sparged, but I don't really know if it was necessary after further reading. I tasted it before dry hopping it a week ago and it tastes great. I hope to keg it in a week or so. I am interested to hear how yours turns out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #92
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I heated it back up to 145F for the last hour. I tried to filter it through a thin cloth into my brew kettle, and I think that might have grabbed some of my sugars because it was too fine.

If I do it again I think I'm just going to get a large mesh bag and do it BIAB style. I really need to find a cheap 10gal pot to use as my brew kettle. I have a 2.5gal and a 5.0gal right now and they just aren't cutting it. I want to do my whole batch in one vessel.

I tasted the wort and it wasn't awful. The hops were pretty strong so it made it hard to gather other flavors but I'm sure they will mellow with a couple weeks in the fermenter. I went with an extra .5 oz of sterling for the last 15 min of the boil. I was only going to do 1 oz for 60 min.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #93
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I just got my chestnut chips today (I just ordered them on Friday!). I'm excited about this brew. I had a question about the soaking, though. I was planning on soaking the chips in a nylon bag I have. Do I soak them in the brew kettle for the 12+ hours? There was some comments about not being able to keep the temp at 150, is this much of a problem, or just make sure you bring the temp back up before sparging? Also, I have some extra hops from previous brews, are there any hop varieties that WON'T work with the chestnuts?

Thanks

Old 03-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #94
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did mine in two five pound mesh bags in a 2.5 gallon kettle. Bad idea IMO. The chestnuts swell up pretty good so they didn't get very good contact with the water/enzymes if they were in the middle of the bag. I would suggest using a very large bag if you have one in a very large pot. That way you can have plenty of room to stir them around every once in a while.

If you want to keep the temp up on it during the 12 hours then do it while you are awake because I did mine over night wrapped in towels and they still lost too much heat. So during the day would be best so you can keep an eye on the temp and heat it up every once in a while.

As for hops I used Sterling but that was experimental and I don't know how it will turn out.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #95
Gonoles10
Recipes 

I soaked mine overnight in the mash tun (converted keg), wrapped in that metal looking thin insulation you can get at Home Depot. They never went below 120, which worked out fine for me. As for hops, Lee reccomends the citrusy type hops. I used Summit, Cascade and Liberty. It tastes and smells great.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #96
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Hey Lee,
I'm going to be brewing up your chestnut recipe you referenced. After looking at the write up I was wondering is there a reason you take the brewpot off the burner for the last hop addition? Do you leave it off or do you bring it back to a boil? Plus, I have some left over hops (fuggle, styrian goldings, chinook, willamette, and liberty) and most are about half ounce each. I don't know anything about hop combinations so any suggestions?

Looking forward to brewing this up Saturday.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #97
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew View Post
Hey Lee,
I'm going to be brewing up your chestnut recipe you referenced. After looking at the write up I was wondering is there a reason you take the brewpot off the burner for the last hop addition? Do you leave it off or do you bring it back to a boil? Plus, I have some left over hops (fuggle, styrian goldings, chinook, willamette, and liberty) and most are about half ounce each. I don't know anything about hop combinations so any suggestions?

Looking forward to brewing this up Saturday.

Thanks
Letting the hops "steep" the second time with out boiling is to release the oils, aromas and flavors without volitilizing them. Just like brewing a cup of tea.

Type of hops are up to the brewers taste. I would use the lower alpha-acid hops to start with. I've used fuggles and willamette, but I have found that cascades and centenials give a good balance and a pleasant citrusy flavor that most people like. Might take several batchs find your palate compatability.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #98
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I have my chestnut chips steeping as we speak! I put them in my large grain bag and filled my MLT cooler with 165 degree water to warm it up and added the chips at 161. I thought the MLT would hold the temps a bit better than the brew pot. As soon as I put the chips in a nice dark amber color rose up. Look delicious already.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:37 AM   #99
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew View Post
I have my chestnut chips steeping as we speak! I put them in my large grain bag and filled my MLT cooler with 165 degree water to warm it up and added the chips at 161. I thought the MLT would hold the temps a bit better than the brew pot. As soon as I put the chips in a nice dark amber color rose up. Look delicious already.

Taste it and you'll also have palate delight.

leeinwa

Old 03-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #100
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I finished this brew up a few hours ago. It went extremely well. I ended up with a little over 5 gallons of wort. The sample was very sweet, I guess from the 5 lbs. of corn sugar. The starting gravity was 1.060 going into the fermenter. I used 1 ounce of cascade and 1 ounce centenial. Does this beer come out kind of sweet? I pitched the yeast dry at about 60 degrees.

We shall see.

Quick Reply