The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Braggot without sorghum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
lpsumo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks mpcondo, I'm going to try that one out for sure. I read this about malting:

"Grains were malted by allowing them to soak in water for 3-4 days until sprouts were about 2x longer than the grain itself. Grains were rinsed 2x daily so as to avoid bacteria growth."

Is that something that everyone does? also they recommended 1.25 hours in oven at 350 F, sounds about right?

Jeff, wow, thanks for all the information. I really appreciate the point form tips, I had no idea how to get started. I figure when you say "do a boil" that means I should boil my malted grains for about an hour?

That beer calculus site is just about the coolest thing ever, pretty confusing for me at the moment but seems like it'll b e a useful tool. I'm looking at your stout recipe and i don't see any grains mentioned. Is this an error or do I really have no idea how brewing works?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #12
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsumo View Post

"Grains were malted by allowing them to soak in water for 3-4 days until sprouts were about 2x longer than the grain itself. Grains were rinsed 2x daily so as to avoid bacteria growth."

Is that something that everyone does? also they recommended 1.25 hours in oven at 350 F, sounds about right?
I think I read the same thing, but I've found that a 3 day soak is way too long. The millet gets over saturated and doesn't sprout. I wasted a lot of millet trying that, but I have finally perfected the steps:

1. Rinse and soak for 12 hours.
2. Rinse and drain, let rest for 12 hours
3. Rinse and drain, rest for 12 hours

continue the rinse and rest cycle until the sprouts are the length you want. Usually 2 1/2 to 3 days total, but it changes with temperature.

Then I spread on a cookie sheet, and dry in the oven on low, and turn millet over every 30 minutes for 1 1/2 hours. I've found that millet starts taking on a burnt popcorn flavor when cooked at high temps.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #13
Jenkins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

GF oats + honey = HONEY BUNCHES OF OATS BRAGGOT?

Old 12-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I malt and roast buckwheat. I have found that soaking them in water twice the volume of the grain for six hours, then draining and putting into a dish leaving about half an inch of liquid in the bottom, then turning every six hours or so works a treat. They sprout in no time at all. I have also found hat to avoid the 'Buckwheat nutty flavour' to roast them as crystal malt and throw them in the water as soon as you start to hear your water. That's just me though.

I tried with millet but wasn't able to achieve anything. I am still eager to get it to sprout though, as I hate being beaten. Haha It must just have been the millet I used that was the problem.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #15
jeffz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsumo View Post
Thanks mpcondo, I'm going to try that one out for sure. I read this about malting:

Jeff, wow, thanks for all the information. I really appreciate the point form tips, I had no idea how to get started. I figure when you say "do a boil" that means I should boil my malted grains for about an hour?

That beer calculus site is just about the coolest thing ever, pretty confusing for me at the moment but seems like it'll b e a useful tool. I'm looking at your stout recipe and i don't see any grains mentioned. Is this an error or do I really have no idea how brewing works?
So to clarify, some folks here are giving you advice on doing all- or partial-grain brewing, but everything I've contributed has been about doing extract brewing.

If you're brewing from grain, there's usually a "mash" or grain-steeping step of some sort that will precede the boil.

If you're just using extracts (meaning LIQUID extracts), you just start with a boil.

But either way, you WILL do a boil of some sort to make most any kind of beer. It's the key to drawing the alpha acids out of hops that provide bitterness, without which beer would be something entirely sweet and not-beer. Of course how long you boil and what kind of hops with what alpha acid content is where all the art comes in (along with thousands of other factors).

Have fun! This is a great forum. I've only posted a bit over a dozen times but I read daily and learn something every time I do.

Jeff

Old 12-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #16
lpsumo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the tips guys, I will work on this in the new year and see what happens...

Quick Reply