New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Beer - Malted Oats and Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
casebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default GF Beer - Malted Oats and Sugar

I've tried Dragons Tale, tried malting my own sorghum even. It's still sorghum. So next I tried oat flakes fro, the health food store. The beer had possibilities, but what a glop of oat meal ended up in the compost bin!

I ordered Malted oats from Northern Brewers. And roasted some in the oven, on cookie sheets. @350° Remove at varying times to get different colors/flavors, and one pan was wetted before roasting, trying for a biscuit flavor. My Ideal beer is Flat Ass Tired.

Yeast is Nottingham, and hops usually EKG, as per my FAT recipe. I'm not one for citrus flavor. If I want beer, I'll drink beer. If I want citrus, I'll eat Marmalade. Which I do, especially over chocolate ice cream. YUM!

1# rice hulls, seemed to work.
2# malted oats
4# 'biscuit' oats
1# dark roasted oats
4# sugar
1/2c Molasses
Nottingham yeast
Willamett hops, didn't have EKG

4qt boiling water was too much, add two qts of tap water to drop to 122°- I'm not the best masher. Steep, dunno how long- 20 min?

Add 8 qt boiling water, mash at 150 long time as I recall, an hour wasn't enough, then I probably got impatient.

Sparge 3 gallons of 180°

Add sugar, molasses, 1 1/2 oz hops, boil an hour adding 1/2 oz hops at last 15 minutes.

OG 1060, 15.5 Brix, Brix today 5%, ABV- adequate, I guess 6% ?

Slow to settle all the oats, took a month in primary. A couple weeks in second, then kegged and force carb. Better from day one than sorghum beer, but not in the FAT family. Still and all, real beer. And drinkable by other beer lovers, which sorghum is NOT. Pic next to the Corny I cut down to fit the refrigerator shelf. (A TIG in the garage comes in handy.) Seems the head has gone away. Oh well, still got good mouth feel.

And this recipe is CHEAP, because sugar instead of base malt cost 1/4 as much. Since I've become sensitive to glutens I've been making lots of fruit wines. They use LOTS of sugar, to good effect. Cost $1/gallon if I pick the fruit off the neighbor's trees. Wonderful stuff, but it just ain't beer when beer you need.

Comments?

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

57 batches so far,
33 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
22 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Last edited by casebrew; 08-23-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

4 lbs. of table sugar? I have to say I'm a bit skeptical; I just can't see the final product tasting all that great. Although perhaps better than sorghum ale...maybe. That much sugar in beer is a much different proposition than making fruit wine.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
prosper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why the rice hulls? Malted oats have TONS of husk material as I'm sure you've noticed. I personally wouldn't have used the sugar either - I've never found sugar (more than about 1lb) to do anything good for beer.

I've made a (nearly) all-oat beer before, and I quite like it. Definitely 'real' beer. I would definitely play around with it a lot more if I had an aversion to gluten. Crystal Oat Malt, anyone?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Also, there are serious concerns for those that are sensitive to gluten due to cross-contamination on the malted oats. Unless the oats are certified to be gf, then they almost certainly spent their time malting, kilning and milling while rolling around with a bunch of wheat.

While I agree that oats can make a better tasting beer, until we get a gluten-free maltster then I'm not willing to risk it.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
prosper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I suppose it depends on what the level of sensitivity to gluten is. Certainly it would be 'low-gluten' if not 'gluten-free'

Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosper View Post
I suppose it depends on what the level of sensitivity to gluten is. Certainly it would be 'low-gluten' if not 'gluten-free'
If you were making it for yourself and were comfortable taking that risk-fine. But if others, who had celiac or a gluten sensitivity, were going to be drinking this- making a beer that is "low-gluten" is not an option. To be safe it should be truly gluten-free.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Some interesting tidbits...

Quote:
Additionally, oats are frequently processed near wheat, barley and other grains, such that they become contaminated with other glutens. Because of this, the FAO's Codex Alimentarius Commission officially lists them as a crop containing gluten. Oats from Ireland and Scotland, where less wheat is grown, are less likely to be contaminated in this way
Thomas Fawcett & Sons LTD
EastField Lane
Castleford
West Yorkshire
WF10 4LE
Telephone: 01977 552460
Facsimile: 01977 519076

It really doesn't get much closer to scotland than yorkshire...anyone feel like calling T. Fawcett?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Thomas Fawcett & Sons LTD
EastField Lane
Castleford
West Yorkshire
WF10 4LE
Telephone: 01977 552460
Facsimile: 01977 519076
Group buy? What's the best way to split 6 tons* of grain?

Also while Oats would be awesome to have GF, can you really make a good beer with just oats? Most of the Oat Beer recipies I've seen use at absolute most 25% Oats and the rest is barley.

*random guess as to the minimum order size.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
*random guess as to the minimum order size.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/grain-malts/fawcett-oat-malt.html

You can get a little less there.

Fawcett does make wheat malt too though, so I am wondering about the viability as well...

Last edited by DKershner; 08-25-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
Also while Oats would be awesome to have GF, can you really make a good beer with just oats? Most of the Oat Beer recipies I've seen use at absolute most 25% Oats and the rest is barley.
It would taste a lot like biscuits or bread...you would probably want to thin out the taste with some sugar. I really think casebrew would be on to something great if we could get access to malted oats that were gluten free.

EDIT: I have reports that it actually tastes much like barley, just lighter. Maybe thinning is not the right approach. There are also beers that use this as the base grain.

Last edited by DKershner; 08-25-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply