Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > First Time Gluten Free Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
anemic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

thanks otis. I don't see where JP differentiates for sorghum. I would like to clarify that I would expect to rack a normal fermentation using barley based LME's and my question is actually: do we do things the same as far as racking, when we use sorghum, because the directions dont mention it (on the breiss recipes)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #22
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemic View Post
thanks otis. I don't see where JP differentiates for sorghum. I would like to clarify that I would expect to rack a normal fermentation using barley based LME's and my question is actually: do we do things the same as far as racking, when we use sorghum, because the directions dont mention it (on the breiss recipes)
In practice the use of Sorghum LME is identical to that of Barley/Wheat LME.

The only difference (besides some taste) is that Sorghum is GF, whereas the others aren't.

One final difference. Sorghum LME has slightly lower levels of FAN, so you will want to add some yeast nutrients to help those yeasties going strong.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #23
anemic
Recipes 

so as a standard practice with every sorghum brew, one might add 5 to 8 oz maltodextrin for body and 1# of rice extract, to assure success?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #24
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That's what I do and it's been very successful in helping to make a beer with proper body and a good balanced flavor.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #25
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
so as a standard practice with every sorghum brew, one might add 5 to 8 oz maltodextrin for body and 1# of rice extract, to assure success?
Those two are simple ways to fill in some gaps that cause differences between barley and GF beers.

GF beers typically are drier than the barley counterpart, so maltodextrin helps with that.

Sorghum tastes funny, so rice extract helps with that.

There are probably better ways to combat these, but this is a good place to start.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #26
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

this is a good thread. keep 'em coming. *prosted*

Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #27
rflinn68
Recipes 

I have my first gluten free beer in the fermenter for a friend of mine. I used this simple recipe I found online from BYO http://byo.com/component/resource/ar...on-gluten-free Instead of using 6lbs 11oz of sorghum I used 6lbs and added 11oz of extra honey. The OG was a bit higher @ 1.055. It doesnt say how long to leave in primary or to do a secondary. I will be bottling this and want to make sure I have yeast left to carbonate. Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #28
anemic
Recipes 

rflinn
post#1 in this thread says the BYO recipe turned out terrible so you may consider adding maltodex, rice extract & dry hop it at secondary

Old 02-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #29
rflinn68
Recipes 

Quote:
rflinn
post#1 in this thread says the BYO recipe turned out terrible so you may consider adding maltodex, rice extract & dry hop it at secondary
how much of each? I have 1/2oz of the tettnang left. Would rice syrup solids be good to add at secondary?

Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #30
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflinn68 View Post
how much of each? I have 1/2oz of the tettnang left. Would rice syrup solids be good to add at secondary?
Don't add the rice extract that late in the game, will only screw things up and increase chance for infection.

At this point, I would take what comes of the beer, but I did not have a good experience with that recipe. Age it a LONG time and it could be ok.

Quick Reply