Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > First Home Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
wolves63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default First Home Brew

So finally, I broke down and bought my equipment from Austin Homebrew as we did not have a local brew shop (although one did open up afterwards!).

Worked my way through the brewing process with a buddy of mine and ended with an OG of 1.041. Let it ferment for 4 weeks and ended up with a FG of 1.005. about 4.2% ABV.

It has now been in the bottle about 2 weeks and I did crack one open. There is very little sediment in each of the bottles which makes pouring easy, the only downside to my beer is it is extremely cloudy. The flavor is excellent and even a little hoppier than expected, which is a treat. The only way I can describe the appearance would be to look at a Blue Moon Belgian Wheat and that would be how cloudy it is. Is there anything to do in the future that could help to clear it up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey, man. Congrats on the first brew. You could add a teaspoon of Irish Moss 15 minutes before the end of the process. This helps to clear it. The haze should go away in time, but this clears it quicker.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Unless you did something to clear the beer it will probably be cloudy for a while. Doesn't have much of an impact on overall flavor though.

Congrats. Sounds like everything went well with the homebrew.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves63 View Post
So finally, I broke down and bought my equipment from Austin Homebrew as we did not have a local brew shop (although one did open up afterwards!).

Worked my way through the brewing process with a buddy of mine and ended with an OG of 1.041. Let it ferment for 4 weeks and ended up with a FG of 1.005. about 4.2% ABV.

It has now been in the bottle about 2 weeks and I did crack one open. There is very little sediment in each of the bottles which makes pouring easy, the only downside to my beer is it is extremely cloudy. The flavor is excellent and even a little hoppier than expected, which is a treat. The only way I can describe the appearance would be to look at a Blue Moon Belgian Wheat and that would be how cloudy it is. Is there anything to do in the future that could help to clear it up?
Leave it in the Fridge a week or longer, it will slowly clear.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
wolves63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

That is what I figured. Although it is cloudy it doesn't have any sediment so I am happy.

Drinking - Cream of the Crop (Cream Ale)
Secondary - Blueberry Oatmeal Stout
Primary - Caramel Apple Cider (Cider)
Primary - Cloistered (Mead)
On Deck - Hoppy Days (American IPA)
On Deck - Spiced Christmas Ale
On Deck - The Barney (Irish Red)

Old 11-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Right, its cloudy because the yeast is in suspension. A couple of weeks in the fridge and you will have clearer beer and more sediment

Quick Reply