Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > First GF recipe, thoughts?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
digiteknique
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 12
Default First GF recipe, thoughts?

Hi, first post on these forums.

I have a few batches under my belt but they have not been GF. My wife has coeliac and wants something that tastes close to the tripel I made as my first batch. Here is what I am thinking:

6 pounds sorghum extract
3 pounds honey
1 pound molasses
8 oz maltodextrin
1 pound belgian candi sugar

1 oz saaz hops 60 minutes
1 oz saaz hops 5 minutes

Will this work or at least approximate the taste of the Belgian trippel?

Thanks!

__________________
digiteknique is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 577
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Well, a pound of molasses is a lot. That will probably make the beer darker than is normal for a tripel, and it will give it a significant molasses flavor. I've never used that much molasses in a beer, so I can't tell you if it will be good or not, but it will make the beer fairly dark. (As a note, I've found it really doesn't take much molasses to darken a beer, and I think it works great for this purpose. A couple spoon fulls took my pale, sad looking witless and made it a rich gold.)

Also, as you may already know, honey is a bit of an unknown, as the sugar content varies widely depending on the honey. If you haven't used honey before, I'd do a quick search on the forum, you'll find out about how to calculate how much sugar you are going to get out of it, etc.

When I made my tripel, I used about twice that much sugar, and I also used 1 lb of rice syrup solids. Depending on the honey, that might come out to be roughly the same amount of sugar as I used. I didn't use any maltodextrin in my tripel, but that was because I figured the sorghum and rice syrup would provide the mouthfeel necessary to make an easy-drinking tripel. Personally, I would leave the maltodextrin out of the boil, as you can always add it at bottling time if you think the beer is too thin.

What are you planning on using for yeast?

__________________

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

dorklord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 1,043
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

The changes I would suggest (I've not brewed a tripel)

-Instead of 6 lbs of sorghum syrup, I'd do a 50/50 blend of sorghum syrup and brown rice syrup (or rice syrup solids)
-I wouldn't use that much honey, as dorklord mentioned, it is an unknown and I'd like to reserve honey for an addition to add aroma rather than sugar content, but maybe that's just me- Instead, I'd use maple syrup, brown rice syrup, belgian candi sugar, corn sugar, or some other sugar to up the gravity
-Don't be afraid of using 1 lb of molasses, I've done it plenty of times. Most notably it brings out a slight chocolaty taste and certainly does add a nice bit of color to it. I find this pleasing
-+1 on saving the maltodextrine until bottling time, taste it and see if you want to add it. I put it in almost all of mine out of habit but I've never thought it had a detrimental effect on a beer, again- that's just me
-Consider adding belgian candi sugar in the brew and after fermentation starts. I've heard of the technique but I don't know the specifics but I have a feeling DKershner knows the answer to this

__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009
Lcasanova is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
digiteknique
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 12
Default

Thanks for the replies

Dorklord, some solid points. Looks like I'll shy away from the honey, for yeast I was just gonna go with ferments safale 06 I believe.

Lcasanova, I like the idea of maple syrup. SWMBO is getting impatient I think so I don't know if I can wait a week for rice solids to be delivered, heh.

Thanks again!

__________________
digiteknique is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 577
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
The changes I would suggest (I've not brewed a tripel)

-Instead of 6 lbs of sorghum syrup, I'd do a 50/50 blend of sorghum syrup and brown rice syrup (or rice syrup solids)
-I wouldn't use that much honey, as dorklord mentioned, it is an unknown and I'd like to reserve honey for an addition to add aroma rather than sugar content, but maybe that's just me- Instead, I'd use maple syrup, brown rice syrup, belgian candi sugar, corn sugar, or some other sugar to up the gravity
-Don't be afraid of using 1 lb of molasses, I've done it plenty of times. Most notably it brings out a slight chocolaty taste and certainly does add a nice bit of color to it. I find this pleasing
-+1 on saving the maltodextrine until bottling time, taste it and see if you want to add it. I put it in almost all of mine out of habit but I've never thought it had a detrimental effect on a beer, again- that's just me
-Consider adding belgian candi sugar in the brew and after fermentation starts. I've heard of the technique but I don't know the specifics but I have a feeling DKershner knows the answer to this
I've got nothing against adding the molasses, I just *think* it is going to make the beer more dark than what one would call a 'tripel'. (I would think it would be great to provide color and deep flavors to a Dubbel. ) so it may end up being a great beer, just not a tripel.

My feeling is the same about the maltodextrin. It is a great ingredient, but it would be easy to go overboard with it in a tripel, so I would wait until after fermentation to try and see how much it needs.

Also, if you want to use honey, I'd use it for priming, as then more of the flavors will come through. From what I've been told, if you use it in the initial boil, the delicate flavors will be broken down, and you end up with basically just sugar.
__________________

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

dorklord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 577
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiteknique View Post
Thanks for the replies

Dorklord, some solid points. Looks like I'll shy away from the honey, for yeast I was just gonna go with ferments safale 06 I believe.

Lcasanova, I like the idea of maple syrup. SWMBO is getting impatient I think so I don't know if I can wait a week for rice solids to be delivered, heh.

Thanks again!
You may want to check your grocery store, as you may find rice syrup to use in jars. Some people use it as a sweetener, I guess? Honestly, I have no idea what you'd use it for besides beer. I don't know for sure if it is all gluten free...

Also, for the yeast...I'm cornfused. Fermentis WB-06 is a wheat beer yeast (I intend to try it one of these day). Is that what you mean?

Personally, I'd use T-58, as it should give the desired 'belgian' characteristics, and it can handle high alcohol.
__________________

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

dorklord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
digiteknique
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 12
Default

Dorklord, it was actually the dry ale yeast 05, I just picked it up since it was GF. I am pretty new to the hobby, I'll pick up some of the other.

SWMBO isn't terribly sensitive to gluten, but we wanted to go as GF as possible. Do you think the hops I chose would work? It looks like I'm waiting for new yeast anyway so I'll order some rice while I'm at it.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a triple, but she tasted the triple I made that was glutinous and loved it.

__________________
digiteknique is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 577
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiteknique View Post
Dorklord, it was actually the dry ale yeast 05, I just picked it up since it was GF. I am pretty new to the hobby, I'll pick up some of the other.

SWMBO isn't terribly sensitive to gluten, but we wanted to go as GF as possible. Do you think the hops I chose would work? It looks like I'm waiting for new yeast anyway so I'll order some rice while I'm at it.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a triple, but she tasted the triple I made that was glutinous and loved it.
I'd probably defer to someone else on the hops, but I did a quick look survey of some tripel extract kits, and your hops seems reasonable to me.

One trick that can help when formulating a GF recipe is to look at an extract kit online, and copy the hops (and other 'seasonings') and then swap out the malt for GF malts...and the sticky at the top of this section lists some help in that department.
__________________

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

dorklord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Some notes just from looking over your recipe:

  • I actually like the use of that much honey, unlike everyone else. You might sub some for corn sugar or BRS if it is scary though. Also, consider switching some sorghum for BRS too, like others have mentioned.
  • No molasses, save it for porters and stouts.
  • No maltodextrin, you want this thing as dry as possible.
  • Don't worry about adding sugar into the primary unless a) there is some flavor you really want to extract or b) you are going above 10% ABV.
  • Hops look fine, since someone asked.
  • Use S33 yeast, it is a belgian strain.
  • Consider the use of coriander if you like that flavor, many tripels have it.

Also, in case you want to look over it, here is the GF Tripel I made and there should be plenty of tasting notes, including some after it had been in the bottle for more than a year. Casanova currently has the last bottle of it, too. It was one of my first gluten free beers.
__________________
DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 577
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
Some notes just from looking over your recipe:
  • I actually like the use of that much honey, unlike everyone else. You might sub some for corn sugar or BRS if it is scary though. Also, consider switching some sorghum for BRS too, like others have mentioned.
  • No molasses, save it for porters and stouts.
  • No maltodextrin, you want this thing as dry as possible.
  • Don't worry about adding sugar into the primary unless a) there is some flavor you really want to extract or b) you are going above 10% ABV.
  • Hops look fine, since someone asked.
  • Use S33 yeast, it is a belgian strain.
  • Consider the use of coriander if you like that flavor, many tripels have it.

Also, in case you want to look over it, here is the GF Tripel I made and there should be plenty of tasting notes, including some after it had been in the bottle for more than a year. Casanova currently has the last bottle of it, too. It was one of my first gluten free beers.
Do you dilute a sample of your honey to figure out the impact it will have on the gravity? Or do you just have a rule of thumb you go by?

I suppose maybe that's more of an issue when using honey for bottling, as you could end up with undercarbed beer or bottle bombs if you make a grossly inaccurate assumption about your honey, whereas in the boil, you'll just end up with a higher or lower OG than you expect...
__________________

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

dorklord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools