I cracked open the first bottle of my first batch last night. We bottled them just this past Saturday so I realize it needs more time, but I wanted to try one and share the results.
The recipe I have is missing most of the details--a parishioner made this recipe up and I don't have it with me. But I'll provide what I can. I'm still learning the language as I read through these threads so if I use the wrong term, please correct me!
This was for a half batch.
The base was sorghum extract
We malted and roasted buckwheat (I don't know how many lbs or for how long) but it had a pretty nice dark color and they tasted like grapenuts. Let them waft for several weeks in a paper bag. Then using a rolling pin I crushed them as much as I can.
We put those and some flaked corn in a bag and put that in water for about an hour. Then removed it and added lactose, rice (in some form), sorghum, light and dark beet syrup (I think that is the source of the color). At what point, time and amount all of these were added I don't know, sorry. When we bottled it the ABV was approx 5.4%
Now for the beer. There was no head, but there was also hardly any carbonation. We didn't add any irish moss or whirflox tablets so it wasn't very clear and I don't expect it to clear up. The color was a nice, deep red.
It has good body--it isn't thin but not too heavy either. More mouthfeel than redbridge or bards beer. It was incredibly smooth in taste, not too sweet. I'm actually at a bit of a loss to describe it in terms of comparison. It has been more than 5 years since I had a "regular" beer so I'm not sure. But I do know it tasted really good and I can't imagine how it will be when it is finished conditioning.
The guy who helped me do all of this said it was different but tasted better than some of his own (non gf) homebrews.
so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.