Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Experimental Batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default Experimental Batches

So, my co-worker was gracious enough to give me some of his old fermenters, some 1gal jugs. I was looking at how best to use these and thought of you guys.

What I need from you:
Ideas that you have had of the fairly experimental variety that for whatever reason you didn't feel like your brewery or budget could support.

I have 3 fermenters to try things out in, so that will be the limit for now on how many experiments we have going. I do have a bag of amylase enzyme I picked up awhile ago and have not used. I also have a PID hooked to a big rice cooker for any crazy mash ideas you guys can come up with.
No grain roasting or malting for now. I don't want to mess with the smell in my house on 100F days and I don't have any more room to grow things at the moment either.

1) For this one, I was thinking of trying out a Bob's GF Rolled Oats beer with some amylase enzyme and seeing what happens. Just a simple blonde with 100% oats.
2) Open.
3) Open.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'd be really interested in doing several batches of 100% of any particular grain. Make the style be a pretty standard pale or blond. So that the grain, not the style is the focus.

My votes:
2. 100% Quinoa, should be similar to a 100% oat beer
3. 100% Millet. Nobody really does too much with this one, but it's cheap and readily available and I'd love to see more work with it.

Would be really nice if somebody sold some B-amylase and all the other enzymes we need since you won't be malting anything.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
Would be really nice if somebody sold some B-amylase and all the other enzymes we need since you won't be malting anything.
You think that too many starches are going to be left behind? I really thought some alpha amylase would consume most of them...

Old 08-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I just don't think that unmalted grains will have much diastatic power. And thought that if there's some enzyme not natively in the grain, then maybe we could add it manually.

Honestly though, you know more about all-grain brewing than I and I would trust your better judgement.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Did you do a 100% rice beer yet? I've thought about it but changed my mind many times...I don't know how well the end product would taste.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
I just don't think that unmalted grains will have much diastatic power. And thought that if there's some enzyme not natively in the grain, then maybe we could add it manually.

Honestly though, you know more about all-grain brewing than I and I would trust your better judgement.
Well, I think the unmalted grains should literally have zero diastatic power. Flaked corn and the like do, and they are not malted. It is barley's enzymes that obviously help it through.

By adding these enzymes, we would help it convert, but yes, we could be missing some which may not convert like they should. I don't really know. I do know that adding amylase enzyme to a fermenting beer can actually convert more starches to sugars and more comlpex sugars to simpler ones though, even after a mash with barley. So, maybe it will work out, I dunno.

I know more about all grain brewing with Barley than you, which is sort of like saying I know more about knife fighting when we are clearly fighting with guns.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
Did you do a 100% rice beer yet? I've thought about it but changed my mind many times...I don't know how well the end product would taste.
Nope, just 84% BRS. I do wonder what a pile of minute rice with some amylase would be like...although perhaps BRS is the more sane choice.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Quote:
Both α-amylase and β-amylase are present in seeds; β-amylase is present in an inactive form prior to germination, whereas α-amylase and proteases appear once germination has begun. Cereal grain amylase is key to the production of malt. Many microbes also produce amylase to degrade extracellular starches. Animal tissues do not contain β-amylase, although it may be present in microrganisms contained within the digestive tract.
So...Beta amylase might be sitting there waiting to be used? Am I reading this right?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Nope, just 84% BRS. I do wonder what a pile of minute rice with some amylase would be like...although perhaps BRS is the more sane choice.
IF it were me and I had the time, BRS is the way I would go. If you try it let us know. My guess is that it will be light bodied, thin and pale. Some type of spices or hops would give you all the flavor...I bet dry hopping would do nice on this...

Just thinking out loud

Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
IF it were me and I had the time, BRS is the way I would go. If you try it let us know. My guess is that it will be light bodied, thin and pale. Some type of spices or hops would give you all the flavor...I bet dry hopping would do nice on this...

Just thinking out loud
Yeah, those were my thoughts on my almost all BRS beer. Like I said though, the beer is white...like see through. It really does seem like the most basic beer ever created...

I think 100% BRS is a good idea. Let's see if we can make a beer that tastes like nothing but alcohol.

Quick Reply