Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Excellent Paper on Gluten-Free Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Excellent Paper on Gluten-Free Brewing

Not sure if this has been posted here, but this is a really well-done experiment:

http://www.scientificsocieties.org/j...-1122-1159.pdf

Seems like quinoa is eminently capable of rivalling sorghum in terms of fermentability, and buckwheat may actually be superior. For all you at-home maltsters, this paper outlines optimal malting procedures, so take note!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yup, that's a pretty good one, one of the latest documents from jib. The main issue isn't quantative with these, but qualitative. The last study that did a 100% buckwheat beer showed poor results, but as I had mentioned somewhere else it was strictly pale malt mostly for the numberical results. Other documents have gone over optimal processes (so far with conflicting information at times) as well.

This does however mean that it's up to us to use these malting procedures and tell each other just what it does taste like in a few standard beers as well as more complex ones.

I'm currently setting up a hodgepodge rig to malt at 80C and 100% humidity. I'm just having trouble getting a good kiln heat and am trying to consider different tiny scale heating devices.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Yup, that's a pretty good one, one of the latest documents from jib. The main issue isn't quantative with these, but qualitative. The last study that did a 100% buckwheat beer showed poor results, but as I had mentioned somewhere else it was strictly pale malt mostly for the numberical results. Other documents have gone over optimal processes (so far with conflicting information at times) as well.

This does however mean that it's up to us to use these malting procedures and tell each other just what it does taste like in a few standard beers as well as more complex ones.

I'm currently setting up a hodgepodge rig to malt at 80C and 100% humidity. I'm just having trouble getting a good kiln heat and am trying to consider different tiny scale heating devices.
How small are you talking?

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Smaller than a breadbox.

No seriously.

Since I'm in an apartment I don't have much option other than the oven and it's a pretty poor one at that or a cardboard box with some heating device that won't go too high. The temperature swings are a bit too much on the high and low so I was thinking something like an electric blanket.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Quick Reply