The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainepolo12 View Post
I brewed this tonight. Thinking about adding a little something extra in secondary. Any ideas? Espresso, bourbon,?? Can't wait to taste the result.
The D-180 definitely adds a bunch of complex flavors. I like the idea of adding coffee or espresso, but I've never done it so I'm not sure how it would work out. I do have a non-GF DIPA in the secondary sitting on 3oz of Hungarian oak cubes soaked for two weeks in 8oz of Jack Daniels; that one is going to take some time... Dry hopping with a bunch of Cascade would be good too. Ultimately, it's all good...

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #22
spaced
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

With cascade, you really want to use 3oz to dry hop if you want that "cascade" aroma. Cascade doesn't store the best either, so if you buy in bulk make sure to store in cryovac bags to lock in the aroma.

With coffee it's best to use cold pressed as it doesn't extract the oils like espresso shots. In the past I've put a bit in the bottle before adding the beer. It seemed to get stronger as time went on. This would be a good way to test it and not risk ruining a whole batch.

My gluten free home brewing blog.
http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/

Drinking: Hopped Honey IPA
Fermenting: 2 Ciders with S-33 Yeast, Summer Pale Ale and a West Coast IPA
Planning: Belgian Triple, Blood Orange Wit and American IPA

All gluten free.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #23
matthawes
Recipes 

Spaced, thanks for the pointers, will make use of your advice in my next brew.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #24
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I racked to secondary today at 1.010. I was going to go with coffee but decided to go a different direction. The sweetness of the wort reminded me of a beer I had once that was a banana bread beer so I tried to duplicate that. Ending up adding 1 tbsp vanilla extract and a 1/2 tbsp each of almond extract and cinnamon. Well see what happens!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #25
matthawes
Recipes 

Quote:
I racked to secondary today at 1.010. I was going to go with coffee but decided to go a different direction. The sweetness of the wort reminded me of a beer I had once that was a banana bread beer so I tried to duplicate that. Ending up adding 1 tbsp vanilla extract and a 1/2 tbsp each of almond extract and cinnamon. Well see what happens!
Please post after you try it, I'll be really interested to know how that turns out. Mine has a little too much sorghum tin twang, and not enough hop aroma, although the bitterness is just right. I am enjoying this beer.

I am wanting my home brew to taste less like redbridge, and there is still a hint in there...

I don't understand the idea of sorghum at 'flameout' - what that means... and I've also not tried rice syrup.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #26
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I used 6 lbs a piece of sorghum and rice syrup. That should reduce the tinny taste. The idea of adding sorghum at flameout is to reduce the time to extract the flavors during the boil while still adding fermentables. I haven't tried this yet.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #27
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I used 6 lbs a piece of sorghum and rice syrup. That should reduce the tinny taste. The idea of adding sorghum at flameout is to reduce the time to extract the flavors during the boil while still adding fermentables. I haven't tried this yet.
Am I understanding you correctly, "6 lbs a piece of sorghum and rice..." as in 12 lbs plus the candi sugar? Was this for a 5 gallon batch? If so, that's gonna be a pretty strong brew (somewhere around 1.090 OG and ultimately around 8.8% ABV?). Rock on...

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)

Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #28
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Oops. Make that 3.3 lbs a piece. Bottled last night and not sure how I feel about this one. The almond extract took a more prominent flavor than I would like but hopefully it will mellow with time. OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.012, a little higher than expected or desired. Not sure why that is.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #29
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Oops. Make that 3.3 lbs a piece. Bottled last night and not sure how I feel about this one. The almond extract took a more prominent flavor than I would like but hopefully it will mellow with time. OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.012, a little higher than expected or desired. Not sure why that is.
"3.3 lbs a piece"... that makes more sense. I wasn't sure about the extracts thing; I'm just not that gutsy. In a previous post you had mentioned a FG 1.010; would adding the extracts to the seconadary have brought it back up like that?

Old 11-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #30
mtbskier
Recipes 

Thoughts on a hop schedule of how to transform this into a black ipa? Would you also need to increase the fermintables?

Quick Reply