Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Do you have any GF beer (commercial) recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
BrewCanuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=igliashon;4572132]Frankly, though, I've been working on acquiring a taste for whisky...it's my go-to when I don't have homebrew available. Bulleit Rye and Johnnie Walker Red are my favorites. QUOTE]

Be careful with whiskey. The distilling process eliminates any gluten and its components but some of the distillers add falvour/colourings that contain gluten (usually from malt). The most common reaction I've heard of and in fact experienced is that the alcohol hits you like a ton of bricks. One shot feels like 3.

One of my favourites is Wiser's Small Batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Beerd1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
They're all basically rubbish. I've been most impressed with Green's, because they are at least true to style (so if you like Belgian beers....), but Harvester disappointed me mightily. I spent $100 to get a case of bombers shipped to me, and most of it went down the drain. The Dark Ale was dreadful, like licking a tire. The Red was also pretty bad, but I could see it being good if it was fresher. The Pale was decent, as was the Raspberry, but I could still barely drink them. I used to like New Planet okay, but I've lost my taste for their pale and raspberry ales. St. Peter's is good if you can get a fresh one, the amarillo hops can really pop, but most of 'em are pretty stale and not very good...kinda skunky, due to the green glass. I like New Grist if it's hot enough outside, it's like a PBR to Red Bridge's Bud Light. Omission gives me a reaction, and tastes like arse anyway, and I tend to stay away from any "de-glutenized" beers.

I'd rather spend my money on any of Crispin's "Artisanal Reserve" ciders...the Lansdowne is great, the Irish stout yeast really comes through. I've been trying like hell to get my hands on their Cho Tokkyu rice cider with sake yeast, but I can't even seem to special order it here in CA. Frankly, though, I've been working on acquiring a taste for whisky...it's my go-to when I don't have homebrew available. Bulleit Rye and Johnnie Walker Red are my favorites. I'm really hoping that Harvester gets their act together, though...they have the right mindset for a craft brewery, having produced an IPA, a Fresh Hop Pale ale, and now a Pumpkin ale (none of which I've managed to get my hands on). Also, New Planet has a Brown ale due out in 2013 that I have high hopes for....
As for whiskys, believe it or not, for the the money I think Wiser's Canadian Whisky is pretty darn good. Check it out if you are getting into whiskys.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
DougmanXL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Keep in mind that the varieties of liquor/beer available in Ontario is limited compared to the USA *cough-LCBO* (and everything is overpriced). If I could buy T'weason ale, I would, same goes for Crispin's ciders. Probably wouldn't brew so much otherwise. But I do like Bards better than the other Commercial GF beers that I can buy, especially Nickelbrook GF - it's terrible. Overall I'm more into bold beers, like Belgian Triples/Strong Ales, stout's, IIPA's. GF Belgian Strong Ale's are great, and easy to make.

I too am a fan of Rye Whiskey, and although I like Wisers, I like Centennial even better - Centennial is like Wisers but it's smoother, and very sippable. Wisers spiced rye is pretty good too, tasty and smooth, way better than other spiced rums.

how much malt could a millet malter malt if a millet malter could malt millet?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
Beerd1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMang View Post
Dogfish head's T'weason ale is the only gf beer I can stand. I'd suggest that over nasty ass bards.
Is that a seasonal beer? I haven't seen it but I will keep an eye-out for it.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerd1

Is that a seasonal beer? I haven't seen it but I will keep an eye-out for it.
You know. It is. I can find it near me. Probably only because people around me aren't buying it. Sorry Holmes.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerd1

As for whiskys, believe it or not, for the the money I think Wiser's Canadian Whisky is pretty darn good. Check it out if you are getting into whiskys.
I wasn't aware that whiskey was GF?

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #17
Skagdog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safa

I wasn't aware that whiskey was GF?
Distilled likker is gluten free.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skagdog

Distilled likker is gluten free.
Just did some research, long story short is theoretically yes it is but in practice many people still get serious reactions from gluten based distilled liquors. Damnit.

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 11-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #19
ksj
Recipes 

Sorghum "beer" will never be like traditional beer, just like GF bread will never be like a wheat based bread. It can get close, but will never be the same. Accept it for what it is. I am not gluten intolerant, but my wife is (for over 10 yrs). She used to really like her beer, so I have been questing to find her beer since she started her GF life. I try all these GF beers out of curiosity. The most beer-like of the GF beers are certainly the low gluten Omission and Estrella Daura. For the sorghum brews, I like Bards, New Grist is okay, Harvester pale (haven't tried the others), and the New Plant pale was okay. If you are expecting a sorghum IPA to compare to a traditional ipa, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. It will never be the same. But, they can be good for what they are. Sometimes I actually drink them on purpose! Especially during warmer weather.

As far as liquor goes, a good tequila is GF and IMO better than a good whiskey (but it costs more).

Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I must disagree, I have made several beers including a few IPAs that non-GF drinkers not only like but cannot believe they are GF. So it can be done.

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Quick Reply