Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Do you have any GF beer (commercial) recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Beerd1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Do you have any GF beer (commercial) recommendations?

Finally figured out how to start a new post. I must be forum-challenged.
Had a Green's from Belgium the other day that was very disappointing.
The only one that I have liked so far is Redbridge by InBev unfortunately. I say unfortunately since I like to support smaller breweries.
Any recommendations?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
GFdude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My likes:
Both Omissions (no reaction myself)
The brunehaut line (some reaction with the blonde)
New grist was ok
Angry orchard ciders are fantastic (as are many other ciders).

Dislikes:
All of the new planet brews (especially their IPA, tasted like a rusty penny)
St. Peters Sorghum (metallic twang again)
I forget the rest, I don't like to dwell on wasted beer.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
ale-e-chest
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I can only comment on ones in Australia.
O'Briens larger and pale ale are very good. Have't tried the brown ale.
Billabong pale ale is good be it expensive ($25 AUS for a 6 pack)

The international Schnitzer Brau is nice. It interesting in taste but I don't mind it. It's also expensive at $25 a 6-pack.

To put it in to context normal beer is about $15 a 6-pack

Old 11-08-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

There is a GF brewery in Portland called harvester brewing. My wife really like their beer. I think it was their pale ale she had. Probably pretty difficult to get it there. She has also enjoyed New Grist, but had one tonight that she said tasted different then her previous experiences.nhowever, we discovered it was bottled in April. Freshness matters big time with GF IMO

Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
BrewCanuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From this side of the pond I've had:

BeerUp - Austrian (millet, corn and buckwheat) - Excellent, best I've had so far
Lammsbrau - German (Barley with gluten removed) - No bad, not great but not bad. Tasted a little skunky, what is it with GF brewers and the green bottles? The other problem is that I could feel a mild reaction if I had more than 2 in one sitting
Liebhart''s Residenz - Organic Dark and Light Rice Beer - Pretty good, though the malt backbone was a little light. Basically like what I remember a Coor's Light being

Old 11-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Beerd1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like I have some drinking to do.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
DougmanXL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Lets discuss it over a Bards (lol). Bard's Tale is the best commercial GF beer I've had (except Snowman Brewing's triple but theyre not for sale yet). They malt the sorghum, so it has malt character and mouthfeel, unlike other GFB's. It's a german lager with a sweet malty character, light body, a crisp caramel finish, not much sour/bitter taste (surprisingly)... very drinkable (I've had 12+ in one night ;P).

After having had a few homebrews made with malted/roasted grains, and Bard's, I began to realize that maybe sorghum is not the problem - you need quality malted grain to make a good beer! Briess is doing it all wrong, that's the problem.

Edit:
I've found Bards tastes best out of the bottle, cold.

how much malt could a millet malter malt if a millet malter could malt millet?

Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #8
philbert
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougmanXL View Post
Lets discuss it over a Bards (lol). Bard's Tale is the best commercial GF beer I've had (except Snowman Brewing's triple but theyre not for sale yet). They malt the sorghum, so it has malt character and mouthfeel, unlike other GFB's. It's a german lager with a sweet malty character, light body, a crisp caramel finish, not much sour/bitter taste (surprisingly)... very drinkable (I've had 12+ in one night ;P).

After having had a few homebrews made with malted/roasted grains, and Bard's, I began to realize that maybe sorghum is not the problem - you need quality malted grain to make a good beer! Briess is doing it all wrong, that's the problem.

Edit:
I've found Bards tastes best out of the bottle, cold.
I agree with Bards being the best. To us it was virtually impossible to discern a difference between it and a "normal" beer.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #9
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

They're all basically rubbish. I've been most impressed with Green's, because they are at least true to style (so if you like Belgian beers....), but Harvester disappointed me mightily. I spent $100 to get a case of bombers shipped to me, and most of it went down the drain. The Dark Ale was dreadful, like licking a tire. The Red was also pretty bad, but I could see it being good if it was fresher. The Pale was decent, as was the Raspberry, but I could still barely drink them. I used to like New Planet okay, but I've lost my taste for their pale and raspberry ales. St. Peter's is good if you can get a fresh one, the amarillo hops can really pop, but most of 'em are pretty stale and not very good...kinda skunky, due to the green glass. I like New Grist if it's hot enough outside, it's like a PBR to Red Bridge's Bud Light. Omission gives me a reaction, and tastes like arse anyway, and I tend to stay away from any "de-glutenized" beers.

I'd rather spend my money on any of Crispin's "Artisanal Reserve" ciders...the Lansdowne is great, the Irish stout yeast really comes through. I've been trying like hell to get my hands on their Cho Tokkyu rice cider with sake yeast, but I can't even seem to special order it here in CA. Frankly, though, I've been working on acquiring a taste for whisky...it's my go-to when I don't have homebrew available. Bulleit Rye and Johnnie Walker Red are my favorites. I'm really hoping that Harvester gets their act together, though...they have the right mindset for a craft brewery, having produced an IPA, a Fresh Hop Pale ale, and now a Pumpkin ale (none of which I've managed to get my hands on). Also, New Planet has a Brown ale due out in 2013 that I have high hopes for....

Old 11-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Dogfish head's T'weason ale is the only gf beer I can stand. I'd suggest that over nasty ass bards.

Quick Reply