Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > DIY rice syrup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
joewalkrd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I'm looking forward to reading more on this. An OG of 1.055 seems good to me. Whether or not there is any cost savings to be realized, I can certainly appreciate the experimental mind set. It seems that some of the most interesting things come from the decision to just try something new...like making our own rice syrup.

Question: Did you use standard white rice or some other variety if rice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
beljica
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah bioferm L is just an amylase from what I remember, I was just making a small amount of syrup which is why just an amylase worked for me. Why make syrup? Granola man granola! Cost was 3 pounds of rice at .48 a pound and I got a little bit more then 16 oz which not only saved me about 3 bucks compared to what is at the store... Also DIY has a little bit of satisfaction...

Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #13
beljica
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used calrose but it darkened while being reduced. I don't use brown rice too much in brewing because I'm already battling the strong flavors of sorghum so a subtle rice flavor that's closer to bud really helps with that.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
aldousbee
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Can you use this to replace or partially replace malts in starters?

We have lots of rice here and malt is very expensive.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
muench1
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So... you just mashed some cereal rice with amylase, 3# to a gallon and got 1.055 wort? How many gallons of wort did you get out of that, before reducing to syrup? I know that when I boil rice to eat the rice soaks up crazy amounts of water; if that were happening I'd think a quick simple sparge would really help out. If we assume it's 70% fermentable, that's about double the gravity needed for a "standard" strength beer (not that homebrewers tend to go that low-gravity ). Assuming 70% fermentable, that'd be 7-8# of rice for a 5 gallon, 5-ish% ABV brew.

I know that simply mashing whole rice has been discussed before, and while I think the discussions were mostly hypothetical, IIRC the potential problems people came up with were the germ and oil content. Did you notice any signs of excess oil in/on your wort? If so did it skim off easily?

Now I'm thinking about this a little more. If we were to steep some rice at lauter/sparge (long grain) or mash (short grain) temps for a while to gelatinize the starches, and then just mash with exogenous enzymes, how would that turn out?

Now you've got me tempted to do my next brew with this sort-of-but-not-really cereal mash of rice, dumping in some oat malt with the enzymes... this may renew my interest in making some buckwheat crystal malt to toss in, even though malting is a royal pain in the ass...

Coming soon:, Blackberry Wine, GF Pale, GF Braggot

Quick Reply