Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced View Post
This was the first recipe
http://gfhomebrewing.com.au/index.ph...d=13&Itemid=39

and

This was the second brew
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/adv...m-malt-218142/

I can't control temperatre here, so I use a room with good circulation and put ice bricks in, morning and evening. The brew probably sits at 24 to 26 celcius.
The recommended temperature range for T-58 is 15 to 24c, so 24 is really at the high end (and if you are using a thermometer on the side of your fermentation vessel, it is possible that the beer inside can be a couple degrees warmer yet.)

I've heard that US-05 is a very clean-tasting yeast, so it is possible that it handled a bit warmer temp without off-flavors, but at similar temps the T-58 gives some not-so-great flavors. I do know that in the 20-24 c range, T-58 gives a spicy, slightly warm (alcohol) flavor, I don't know what 26 or 28 would do.

Check around here on the forum, there's plenty of people that have dealt with issues of keeping fermentation cool, and I've seen some innovative solutions (wet shirt over the bucket, making a foam box for the fermenter, etc), I'm sure one or more of them could help you out. Droppinggr the temperature down even a couple degrees might make the difference for that yeast.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #22
spaced
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
The recommended temperature range for T-58 is 15 to 24c, so 24 is really at the high end (and if you are using a thermometer on the side of your fermentation vessel, it is possible that the beer inside can be a couple degrees warmer yet.)

I've heard that US-05 is a very clean-tasting yeast, so it is possible that it handled a bit warmer temp without off-flavors, but at similar temps the T-58 gives some not-so-great flavors. I do know that in the 20-24 c range, T-58 gives a spicy, slightly warm (alcohol) flavor, I don't know what 26 or 28 would do.

Check around here on the forum, there's plenty of people that have dealt with issues of keeping fermentation cool, and I've seen some innovative solutions (wet shirt over the bucket, making a foam box for the fermenter, etc), I'm sure one or more of them could help you out. Droppinggr the temperature down even a couple degrees might make the difference for that yeast.
Thanks for the suggestions dorklord. I'll have a crack at getting the temps down.

Probably stick with the yeasts I've had success with till I can get it fixed.

My gluten free home brewing blog.
http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/

Drinking: Hopped Honey IPA
Fermenting: 2 Ciders with S-33 Yeast, Summer Pale Ale and a West Coast IPA
Planning: Belgian Triple, Blood Orange Wit and American IPA

All gluten free.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply