Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Critique my recipe before I make it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 04:12 AM   #11
gfreebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

bubble bubble bubble...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
gfreebrew
Recipes 

Default Update...

Just an update for anyone interested.

Today is day 8 in primary. It stopped bubbling a couple days ago, so I thought I'd take a gravity reading and a taste. I plan to leave it for a while longer because of how cloudy the wort originally was, in hopes it will clear up a bit.

First off, it tasted pretty damn good. Notes:

Very fragrant; still smells pretty clearly of rooibos and toasted rice.
Fairly light, velvety mouthfeel. You can definitely taste the rooibos and a toasty-rice taste.
Finishes with a light toasty-ness (as opposed to dark toasty) and a light & pleasant bitterness, both with good linger.

Here's the color... Pretty reddish!

Gravity reading looked like about 1.046 so I guess it still has a ways to go. Does that sound right after a week? The yeast were looking at me like "WTF are you doing here bro"

Last edited by gfreebrew; 10-24-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: my htmlz

Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

1.046 is pretty high after 8 days. What was your OG? Does it taste excessively sweet? I would think this to be I. The 1.015-1.020 range at this point. But if it tastes good, who cares.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #14
gfreebrew
Recipes 

OG was 1.056 I thought my reading was high too.. There was a layer of what I assume was yeast on the top of the liquid... And temp has been in low to mid 60s.

Used US 05 yeast.

I dunno :/

Old 10-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
max42
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you use a hydrometer or refractometer for your gravity readings? Refractometer is not accurate with fermented beers unless you use a conversion.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
gfreebrew
Recipes 

I used the hydrometer that came with a brewers best home brewing kit. I put it directly in the bucket.

Could it be the solids from all my steeping grains still in suspension in the liquid affecting it? Or maybe I did it wrong..? Is there a way to do it wrong?

the stuff was bubbling like crazy for like 5 days.. Everything seemed normal. I'm not too worried about it. It would suck if this stuff ended up as a sweet 2% abv juice though.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Try putting it in a hydrometer tube. 1.046 seems WAY too high. Throw up a pic if you are uncertain. Should finish low. Around 1.008 or similar.

My House IPA

Old 10-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #18
gfreebrew
Recipes 

Took a gravity reading again last night in a tube.. 1.030 or so.

It has been in the low 60s in the basement and maybe colder overnight, so I moved it upstairs where it will be 65-70 all the time.

Would anyone recommend adding more yeast? I'm trying to get this bottled this weekend or shortly after if I can.

Thanks for the help
This stuff smells good!

Old 11-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #19
gfreebrew
Recipes 

Quick update... I moved it upstairs to a warmer environment for a week or so and it seemed to help. Gravity reading was... I have no idea but it was in the "finish" zone so I kegged it up.

I'm drinking it prematurely because... FREE BEER. However, it's pretty dang good. The toasty taste is minimal, but I can detect it a little. Rooibos is still the main flavor, but while still tasting like beer. Definitely has some good head too!

I highly recommend trying something with Rooibos. It adds a lot of red color and as I was hoping, it marries well with the sorghum and masks it like crazy! I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

What I will try in the future: Darker toast on the rice/millet, maybe 25% less Rooibos, and try a different yeast just for s&g's.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
MapleTreeBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreebrew View Post
I highly recommend trying something with Rooibos. It adds a lot of red color and as I was hoping, it marries well with the sorghum and masks it like crazy! I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

What I will try in the future: Darker toast on the rice/millet, maybe 25% less Rooibos, and try a different yeast just for s&g's.
Thanks for letting us know how it worked out. I had been thinking of using tea for some cheap color/flavor contributions and it's nice to know it works.

Quick Reply