Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Could I have a gluten intolerance?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Beer_me_plz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Default Could I have a gluten intolerance?

I came to the sad realization a couple weeks ago that I may have a gluten intolerance. More particularly with barley. Here's some of the back story.

In college I could pound the booze. I was in a fraternity so it was a lot and it was often. Now that I'm a little older (26) I'm afraid to even go out to a bar because I fear the insane nausea that over takes me the next day. It's from a soon as I wake up till usually 10 or so that night. I can't even get water to stay down. I usually think I'll just drink beer no shots no liquor at all. It wouldn't help. And I'm not drinking a crazy amount either. Half of what it was in college.

So a couple weeks ago I did an experiment at a my buddies wedding. I drank nothing but wine and actually switched to booze at the bar later that night. Got hammered drunk had a lot of fun. Woke up the next at breakfast and didn't even have a headache. I was tired and could tell I drank but nothing near what it normally would be.

Now I've noticed something else too. I have an awesome Oaked amber ale that has been conditioned for a month and is ready to drink. I can't get through half a glass with out having a hellacious sinus attack and a headache. I mean like runny nose and lots of phlegm being hacked up. My voice even gets scratchy like I have a cold. could this be from the LME I used? All grain or commercial beer aren't nearly as bad. What's weird is bread or any other grain products don't bother me either.

Anyway, I'm not looking for dr. House here I just want to know if anyone has had the same experience or if they know what could be causing it. This really sucks but I'm thinking there maybe some hope for me to continue my hobby. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Go to a doctor and find out. You will only get opinions here.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Sudstud
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Sounds like it to me...sorry.

I have the same problem with many commercial beers, especially wheat beers. Just not to the same extent as you. My girlfriend has some pretty strong reactions too. One thing I do is add clarityferm to my homebrew. Seems to work for both my girlfriend any myself, stuff is amazing.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

The worst thing you can do is go gluten free without having a diagnosis. The tests don't give the correct results if you are already following the diet. Go see a doctor and get an official diagnosis.

If it turns out you do have it, you don't have to give up your hobby. Obviously, this forum is a testament to that fact. What it does mean is you will have to start thinking outside of the box and come at beer from more creative angles then you were, most likely, doing before. But you can still brew beer, cider, wine, mead...all the good stuff.

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudstud View Post
Sounds like it to me...sorry.

I have the same problem with many commercial beers, especially wheat beers. Just not to the same extent as you. My girlfriend has some pretty strong reactions too. One thing I do is add clarityferm to my homebrew. Seems to work for both my girlfriend any myself, stuff is amazing.
Clarityferm eh? can you tell me more about it? can you add it to finished beer? I'll have to research it. sounds promising though. thanks

What i hate is i haven't been to the doctor in like two or three years. I'm certainly not a hypochondriac by any stretch. but i guess i'll have to suck it up and go...

Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
jman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Visiting a doctor will help, though many MDs are somewhat skeptical of gluten intolerance in my experience, and view it as the chic diet du jour (i seriously had one doc tell me this). my experience tells me you'd have better luck with a naturopath, especially if its not something as cut and dry as Celiacs.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
Sudstud
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

It's a clarifying enzyme, one side effect is that it breaks down the gluten protein in barley (supposedly). I was skeptical at first but after brewing 10 batches with it an using myself and my girlfriend as lab rats, I can say for certain that it's been good for us.
http://www.whitelabs.com/enzymes/experiment.html

Old 07-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #8
te3b0r
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My wife had the same exact issues and was confirmed to be Gluten Intolerant. Boy how my life has changed besides beer!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #9
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Not to highjack this thread but has anyone ever experienced their throat becoming restricted when drinking beer?? The other night I was drinking a La Fin Du Monde (Unibroue) and my throat became very tight. I almost got panicky for a second. Stop drinking the brew and had some water and about 15 minutes later I was fine. Any thoughts? It has happened before over the years but this was really bad...

Old 07-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
ale-e-chest
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I used to get the same kiler headaches/sinus problems the next morning as you described. I did the same as you sank beer in my university days and as I got older the body got poorer at handeling it. Now I only drink wine/spirits and gluten free beer. Problem solved unless I've been working my ass off and dehydrated already. I did have other symptoms too but first noticed it with beer. My dad is a naturopath and he picked it up, I first told him to get stuffed as I didn't want to hear something like that but it progressively got worse and eventually gave in to it.

Quick Reply