Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > containing small grains like quinoa or amaranth

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
ChasidicCalvinist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default containing small grains like quinoa or amaranth

My last 2 batches have had 1/2 lb of amaranth. I can't keep those suckers contained. they go through my grain bag and my sieve! I know some of them are floating around in both of my fermenters. Does anyone have any tips on how to contain small grains?

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasidicCalvinist View Post
My last 2 batches have had 1/2 lb of amaranth. I can't keep those suckers contained. they go through my grain bag and my sieve! I know some of them are floating around in both of my fermenters. Does anyone have any tips on how to contain small grains?
Nylon grain bag or muslin?

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
beltenebros
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

i use a nylon grain bag or tea infuser depending on the size of grain. not had a problem so far, although i suppose if some escape you could use some sort of small strainer?

Old 05-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I haven't tried messing with amaranth yet, but if you're getting some slipping through, I'd think they should just settle out with the rest of the trub, allowing you to just rack off when you bottle or move to secondary. But what you could try is actually using the grain bed in your grain bag as a filter, and pouring your wort through it a few times before starting the boil. The grains small enough to pass through will go through on the first one or two pours, so you'll end up with just the ones that are too big lining the bag, and they'll catch the smaller ones (in theory).

Quick Reply